Have you ever thought about using your air fryer for chips? Honestly these Best Homemade Air Fryer Chips will change your life! Using 3 simple ingredients and for under 75p, these air fryer chips will be ready in half the time of a convection oven. Plus, they taste absolutely incredible! They’re seriously simple to make, crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside! Trust me you’re going to love them!
Recipe Difficulty – Very Easy
Why this recipe works
If you haven’t already thought about using your air fryer for chips, then now is the time! I honestly think these are the best homemade Air Fryer Chips on the internet and the best part about it is the minimal prep required! These blow any shop-bought chips out of the water!
My favourite part about these home made chips in the air fryer is the fact that they can go with pretty much any of your favourite meals! They’re the perfect component! I personally love to pair them with my Sweet Chilli Salmon Fishcakes or Easy Air Fryer Broccoli or even my Banging Bhaji Burger! If you’ve recently got an air fryer, now is the time to up your game and try out these amazing air fried chips! Once you’ve tried this new way, you won’t look back!
Ingredients to make Best Homemade Air Fryer Chips
- Potatoes – I’ve used Maris Piper Potatoes but most common types of potatoes would also work for these amazing home made air fryer chips!
- Olive Oil – Using olive oil helps to give these tasty air fryer chips the maximum crispiness!
- Salt – I’ve created my own Lemon and Rosemary Salt, which is an absolute game changer and really helps take these Air Fryer Chips to the next level!
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Potatoes – as mentioned earlier, the majority of common potatoes (e.g. white and red potatoes) will work to create perfect air fryer chips. If you don’t have any potatoes at home, you could also make these tasty snacks using sweet potatoes instead! If you want to create chips with sweet potatoes then try my Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries.
- Olive oil – If you don’t have standard olive oil you could use an olive oil spray or an alternative cooking spray.
- Sea Salt – I’ve used a lemon and rosemary salt, but you could use also use a garlic salt or even standard table salt if you preferred.
- Deluxe – There are so many different ways you can enjoy these crispy snacks! The best way to serve them is with your favourite dipping sauce or favourite seasonings. I personally love this side dish with my homemade Lemon and Rosemary Salt! If you have guests over you could also use a crinkle cutter to really up your game! You could even make air fryer potato wedges (just ensure you cook them for longer!)
- Spicy – If you wanted to create a spicy chip, you could coat them in curry powder or hot paprika seasoning before air frying!
- Kids – This is a great recipe to get the children involved with the cooking process, plus they are healthier than the average chip. If you are cooking with children, I also have a great Free From Banana Bread recipe or my 3 Ingredient Oat Cookies. Both of these recipes are fun to make and good options to get the children involved in too!
How to make Best Homemade Air Fryer Chips
Step 1: Firstly, using a sharp knife, slice the potatoes lengthways to produce chip-like shapes. Cut thin slices for crispy chips and thicker slices for chunky chips (try to avoid uneven slices as they won’t cook evenly)
Step 2: In a large bowl, add the sliced potatoes, olive oil and salt and shake vigorously so that the olive oil and salt is evenly distributed amongst the potatoes. This helps to create crispy air fryer potato chips!
Step 3: Then place the potato slices in the air fryer basket evenly (ensure the chips are kept on a single layer and don’t overlap) and cook for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Hint: Cook time depends on the different model of air fryer along with the thickness of chip you have cut. Make sure you keep a close eye on them
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge. To reheat, pop them back in the air fryer for 5 minutes until they are nice and crispy again!
Depending on the thickness of your chip, the average time would take from 20-25 minutes! The thicker the chip, the longer this will take and visa versa. Depending on the model of air fryer you have will also affect the cooking times.
No, there is no need to cook or drain potatoes the hot air in the air fryer does all the hard work for you!
No, there is no need or place the potatoes in cold or hot water before cooking! Simple cut the potatoes and put them directly in the air fryer!
Don’t worry if you don’t have an air fryer, you can also make this air fryer recipe in the oven. You would just need to increase the cooking time as the air fryer is more powerful. If you like crispy potato chips you could also try deep frying them with hot oil for 5-7 minutes on the hob!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Tried this Best Homemade Air Fryer Chips recipe? Please leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and let me know how you get on. Hearing positive feedback is one of the best parts of creating recipes so please review it below and leave a comment!
P.S Never miss a new recipe! Get more healthy recipes sent straight to your inbox weekly – Subscribe and receive a free recipe eBook!
Best Homemade Air Fryer Chips
- Chopping Board
- Air fryer
- 3 large potatoes I use Maris Piper
- 1.5 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Firstly, using a sharp knife, slice the potatoes lengthways to produce chip-like shapes
- In a large bowl, add the sliced potatoes, olive oil and salt and shake vigorously so that the olive oil and salt is evenly distributed amongst the potatoes
- Then place the potato slices in the air fryer basket evenly (ensure the chips are kept on a single layer and don't overlap) and air fry for 12 minutes at 205C
- Finally, give the chips a shake and air fry again for a further 10 minutes or until golden brown
Please note that Nutrition information is a rough estimate