This Sweet Potato & Black Bean Stew is the perfect comforting dish to make during this cold weather.
It is so simple to make and extremely inexpensive, costing around £4-£5 for the whole dish. That is roughly £1 a portion!!!
It’s gluten free, vegan and is absolutely packed full of colour, flavour and goodness.
You can always adapt this recipe to use what you have, for example swap the sweet potatoes for butternut squash and the black beans for lentils.
If you try this Sweet Potato & Black Bean Stew let me know!
Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames using #healthylivingjames . I absolutely love seeing and sharing your recreations!
Trust me this will become one of your weekly staples during the colder months! Warming, allergy free, tasty and family friendly.
Always make extras as this tastes even better the next day! You can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a couple days or freeze it down to enjoy another day.
This recipe has been featured in a new recipe book for Heart Research UK, if you are able to, a small donation to them would be greatly appreciated. You can get their book here
On Pinterest? Why not save this photo below to your boards so you can come back and try it at another time!
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Stew
- 2 tbsp olive oil/coconut oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 heaped tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 large sweet potatoes(roughly 800g), peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2x 400g cans tomatoes
- 2x 400g cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 400 ml veg stock
- 2-3 handfuls fresh spinach or kale
- salt & pepper
- Firstly peel and chop the sweet potatoes into small cubes and dice the red onion
- Heat a large pot on a medium heat with olive oil, garlic, onion with a pinch of salt & pepper and fry for a couple minutes
- Add all the spices and mix together before adding the sweet potato along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry together for a couple minutes making sure to stir
- Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, black beans, veg stock and a pinch of pepper and mix together
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a low heat placing the lid on the pan for 20-25 minutes (until your desired consistency, I like mine fairly thick)
- Add the spinach and stir through, allowing it to wilt before taking off the heat
Try serving it with a side of quinoa or brown rice.
You can refrigerate this in a sealed container for 2-3 days. It is also suitable for freezing so you have a quick and healthy meal another day.
Love Sweet Potato recipes? Try my Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry