Extremely easy, mild vegan Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry. It’s a totally delicious baked curry that will really impress. Only 5 minutes of prep, using mainly store cupboard ingredients. The oven does all the hard work for you.
Recipe Difficulty – Very Easy
Why this recipe works
This is one of my favourite ever curries! The baked flavour mixed with the mild spices make this an incredibly tasty curry.
Pair this up against your favourite takeaway curry and this will totally win. Plus it’s extremely easy to make, veg packed and cost effective to make.
It is also a very special recipe of mine that I taught myself how to cook about 12 years ago (way before the blog started) in my housebound stage of my illness recovery. I had zero cooking skills and a chair in my kitchen to sit down on whilst I taught myself a few recipes to survive off. This was one of them as you simply just chuck ingredients into a pot and I have made it regularly ever since!
Why Make This Recipe
- Incredibly easy – simple as adding the ingredients to a large pot and baking.
- Minimal prep – literally 5 minutes of prep, that’s it!
- Store cupboard ingredients – things you’ll most likely have already.
- Made in One-Pot – less washing up!
- Extremely tasty – trust me you will LOVE the flavour this packs.
- Perfectly spiced – mild spice to suit all (you can add more if you love heat).
- Gluten free & Vegan – but you can always add extra’s in if you wish.
Ingredients to make Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry
If you haven’t got all the ingredients, here are a few swap suggestions for you.
- Sweet Potato – for butternut squash
- Individual Spices – try curry powder
- Tinned tomatoes – tomato Passata will also work
- Tinned chickpeas – cannelini, black beans or even lentils
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
How to make Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry
Step 1: Firstly peel and chop your sweet potatoes into cubes.
Step 2: Heat a large pot oven a low/medium heat with oil and crushed garlic until the garlic begins to sizzle.
Step 3: Add the spices and chopped sweet potato and mix.
Step 4: Now add all the tinned ingredients (coconut milk, tomatoes, chickpeas) and mix. Place in the oven or simmer on the hob.
Step 5: Remove from the oven and add kale/spinach (optional) and place back in the oven for 15 minutes.
Below are some answers to commonly asked questions for this Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry.
Absolutely! This recipe works really well by just simmering on the hob. I personally love the oven baked flavour but it’s still very tasty cooked on the hob.
I make all my curries fairly mild so that everyone can enjoy. I leave it open to those who love a spicy curry to add extra spice in to suit their tolerance. Another mild curry of mines is my Slow Cooker Chickpea Curry!
Yes! The base of this curry is vegan but you can always add extras in such as tofu, chicken, salmon or prawns to it, I do this by frying them separately and adding at the same time as the greens (15 minutes before the end).
Some of my favourite sides to serve with this Sweet Potato Curry are the following:
- You can’t beat serving a curry with Naan. My homemade Best Gluten-Free Naan with totally amaze you!
- Rice or quinoa are brilliant sides to this curry.
Batch cooking is one of my favourite ways to reduce time in the kitchen. So even if you’re cooking for 1 or 2 then make the full recipe or even double the recipe as you can have it for a quick meal another day.
- Fridge: Allow to cool and store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Freezing: Allow to cool and store in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Reheating from fridge: simply add to a pot over a low simmer with the lid on until hot or you can microwave.
- Reheating from frozen: simply allow to defrost and reheat either in a pot (as per above) or in the microwave.
If you are looking for more amazing curry recipes… here are some of my favourites!
- 10 Minute Peanut Butter Curry
- 10 Minute Chickpea & Spinach Curry
- Veggie Thai Green Curry
- Tofu Katsu Curry
- Cod & Cauliflower Curry
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Tried this Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry recipe? Please leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and let me know how you get on. Hearing positive feedback is one of the best parts of creating recipes so please review it below and leave a comment!
P.S Never miss a new recipe! Get more healthy recipes sent straight to your inbox weekly – Subscribe and receive a free recipe eBook!
Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry
- 2 teaspoon oil (I use coconut)
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into cubes
- 2 400ml cans of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 400g cans of tomatoes
- 1 400g can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 handfuls kale or spinach (optional)
- salt & pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C (fan oven)
- Firstly peel and chop your sweet potatoes into cubes
- Now heat a large pot oven a low/medium heat with oil and crushed garlic until the garlic begins to sizzle
- Add your spices and chopped sweet potato and mix
- Now add all the tinned ingredients (coconut milk, tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, chickpeas) and mix
- Bring to a boil and then place in the pre-heated oven for 45 minutes
- Remove from the oven and add kale/spinach (optional) and place back in the oven for 15 minutes
Please note that Nutrition information is a rough estimate