This is an amazing sweet potato brownie that is so chocolatey and gooey in the centre, just how a brownie should be! It is naturally gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free and is one of my personal favourite desserts.
This brownie will easily last in the fridge for a few days in an airtight container or you can freeze it, so you don’t have eat it all at once. Although once you try it you won’t find it easy to stop.
Roughly 16-20 pieces
Prep: 15 mins
Cooking: 30 mins
- 2 medium to large sweet potatoes (600g)
- 2/3 of a cup of ground almonds (80g)
- 1/2 a cup of buckwheat or brown rice flour (100g)
- 8 Medjool dates (normal dates also work)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries (frozen will also work if defrosted)
- 4 tablespoons of cacao powder
- 1-3 tablespoons of pure maple syrup (I use 1 tablespoon)
- pinch of salt
- coconut oil for greasing
- Pre heat the oven to 180C
- Peel and roughly chop the sweet potato into small cubes. Place in boiling water until soft, roughly 10 minutes.
- Whilst the sweet potato is boiling place the dates and bananas in the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Once the sweet potatoes are soft, thoroughly drain the water and place into the food processor with the bananas and dates
- Blend the mix until you have a very smooth batter
- Remove the mix from the food processor into a mixing bowl and add ground almonds, flour, cacao powder, salt and maple syrup, then mix thoroughly
- Once you have a smooth batter (shown below) add the blueberries and mix into the batter with a fork (making sure to pop some blueberries)
- Now line a baking tray with baking paper and grease with coconut oil
- Empty the mix onto the baking tray, smoothing the surface until you are happy with the shape (I aim for 1cm thick, shown below)
- Place in oven for 30 minutes at 180 degrees
- Let it cool down before serving
Tip: This is great on its own but also goes great with my homemade ice-cream.
Creating this dish? Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames Facebook @healthylivingjames or Twitter @healthylivingJW so I can see what you create! Want to save it for later then pin it on Pinterest @healthylivingJW .