This 4 ingredient Gluten Free Crepes recipe is absolutely delicious! Not only are these crepes gluten free, they are also free from eggs, dairy, and refined sugar! The best bit is that they are really simple to make.
Recipe Difficulty – Easy
Why this recipe works
These vegan crepes are one of my absolute favourite weekend breakfast recipes. They also work perfectly as a dessert!
The gluten free crepe mix is naturally gluten and wheat free due to using buckwheat flour. Buckwheat doesn’t contain gluten or wheat at all as it’s actually a seed, not a grain. These are also dairy and egg free crepes, so they are perfect for vegans as well!
As for supplies, all you need is a mixing bowl, a crepe pan, and a spatula. They are super simple and so yummy! Seriously as easy as throwing together a Bisquick or Krusteaz mix!
Ingredients to make Gluten Free Crepes
- Buckwheat Flour – is naturally gluten free as it’s made from a seed rather than a grain. I also use it to make Homemade Seeded Bread.
- Maple Syrup – is my preferred natural sweetener. If you have a whole jar then try my Sweet Potato Brownies.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk – adds a great flavour and keeps these crepes dairy free.
- Ground Flaxseed – has great health benefits and is the egg substitute to help bind the crepes.
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Buckwheat Flour – feel free to try other flours for this recipe. If you need to stick to gluten free, freee by doves farm, King Arthur and Bob’s Red Mill both have gluten-free flours.
- Maple Syrup – can be replaced with honey.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk – other types of milk will also work, though be aware that some bring different flavours and thickness so be aware that it could change the runniness of the batter.
- Ground Flaxseed – You can replace ground flaxseed with ground chia seeds.
- Deluxe – Crepes are a deluxe treat on their own! Pretty them up with your favourite toppings for a truly scrumptious crepe.
- Kid friendly – use your child’s favourite fruit, jelly, or syrup toppings to ensure they enjoy it.
See this pancake version of this recipe on my website!
How to make Gluten Free Crepes
Step 1: Combine all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Leave to thicken for a couple of minutes.
Step 2: Heat a nonstick pancake pan on medium-high heat with some coconut oil. Pour the gluten free crepe batter into the pan. Try to get an even, thin layer by tilting the pan around.
Step 3: Cook for a couple of minutes on each side until lightly browned.
Hint: Use a spatula to turn them and do so carefully as they are fragile.
I definitely recommend eating these gf crepes fresh, but you can refrigerate or freeze them if you wish. After cooling, store them between layers of parchment or wax paper in an airtight bag or container. They will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days and in the freezer for up to two months. To reheat them, you can warm them in a pan, the oven, or in the microwave. If frozen, thaw them first.
The sky is the limit when it comes to crepe filings! Some yummy options are cut up banana or other fruits, chocolate sauce, my applesauce sauce, syrup, etc. If you can put it on a waffle, you can put it on a crepe!
Savoury crepes, knows as galettes in France, are crepes that are not sweet. They are often filled with meat, cheese, and/or vegetables.
The main reason that they are a healthy breakfast option is that they are so much thinner than pancakes. In addition, there are fewer unhealthy ingredients. In my recipe, I use syrup as the only sweetener and a plant based milk.
Yes! The only real change you need to make is to the flour. I use buckwheat flour, making them gluten free! My recipe also used plant-based milk and they are eggless crepes, so they are great for vegans as well.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Tried this Gluten Free Crepes recipe? Please leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and let me know how you get on. Hearing positive feedback is one of the best parts of creating recipes so please review it below and leave a comment!
P.S Never miss a new recipe! Get more healthy recipes sent straight to your inbox weekly – Subscribe and receive a free recipe eBook!
Gluten Free Crepes
- 125 g buckwheat flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 340 ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- Add all the crepe ingredients above into a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth (leave to thicken for a couple mins)
- Heat a non stick pancake pan on med/high with a small amount of coconut oil. Pour the batter into the pan trying to get a thin even layer by tilting the pan
- Cook for a couple minutes each side until lightly browned (use a spatula to turn making sure to be careful as they are fragile)
Please note that Nutrition information is a rough estimate