Introducing my gluten free & vegan Quiche!
Since being gluten free (8 years) and egg free (5 years) I have totally missed having quiche.
It’s the perfect summery dinner or lunch that goes with so many different types of meals. I personally love it served with a side salad and homemade chips!
The hardest part has been nailing the gluten free & vegan pastry. Anyone that has tried making gluten free pastry without egg will know what I mean.
It’s one of my more complex recipes but well worth it!
What you’re going to love about this free from quiche:
- Perfect for sharing
- Gluten free & Vegan
Here are the ingredients for the gluten free & vegan pastry:
Here are the ingredients for the quiche mixture:
This is by far the best gluten free & vegan pastry I have ever tried. Helen showed me a few tips on how to perfect it without using egg.
It’s actually really simple to do but can take a little practice to perfect.
You want to aim for a round shape roughly 3mm in thickness from the pastry which will be enough to make this quiche in a 9″ quiche/tart tin.
This pastry doesn’t need to be blind baked (pre baked) which makes this recipe faster than usual.
I use silken tofu as the egg replacer along with gram flour and nutritional yeast to bring the eggy flavours together.
Simply make the tofu mixture and pour straight into the pastry and top with whatever you want.
IF YOU TRY THIS GLUTEN FREE & VEGAN QUICHE LET ME KNOW!
Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames using #healthylivingjames . I absolutely love seeing and sharing your recreations!
It comes out the oven smelling and looking amazing!
Trust me if you serve this up to either your family/friends who can eat gluten and eggs they will totally enjoy it and probably not even realise it’s actually gluten free & vegan!
The gluten and egg free pasty holds really well. It’s crunchy and totally looks the part!
On Pinterest? Why not save this photo below or any of your favourite photos to your boards so you can come back and try it at another time!
Here is how I make it!
Gluten Free & Vegan Quiche
- 200 g gluten free flour
- 25 g gram flour (AKA chickpea or besan flour)
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum (available in some supermarkets and health food stores)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 50 g stork block (available in most supermarkets)
- 50 g Trex (available in most supermarkets)
- 4 tbsp water (added slowly)
- 350 g silken tofu
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup gram flour
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1 handful fresh basil
- Large Pinch salt & pepper
- 200 g fresh tomatoes (optional)
- handful sundried tomatoes (optional)
- 1 red onion, sliced (optional)
- To a large bowl sieve in both flours to remove any lumps then add in the Xanthan gum and salt and mix
- Now add in the stork and trex and with rub with your fingertips until it looks like breadcrumbs
- Add in the water one tablespoon at a time until the mix comes together. It should be a little sticky and not dry!
- Roll out between 2 sheets of cling film into a round shape to roughly 3mm thick (see picture above)
- Carefully place into a 9 inch quiche/tart tin and press round the edges
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C
- To a food processor add the silken tofu and blend
- Now add the gram flour, nutritional yeast, herbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper and blend until smooth (you may need to press down the edges)
- Whilst this is blending simply heat the spinach in a pot until it wilts
- Now to a large mixing bowl add the tofu mixture and spinach along with fresh basil, chopped sundried tomatoes and red onion and mix
- Pour the mix directly into the pasty tin and top with the sliced tomatoes
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 180C
- Remove from the oven, allow to rest for 5 minutes before carefully removing from the tin
Give it a try with my Thyme Infused Hasselback Potatoes