Introducing the easiest Breakfast Banana Bars you’ll ever make! They’re gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free using only 3 ingredients! These banana bars are the perfect healthy breakfast for on the go or even as a well balanced snack.
Recipe Difficulty – Very Easy
Why this recipe works
I randomly came up with this recipe a few days ago after asking my nutritionist what snacks to make Luise for her tough mudder challenge which was a 20km race.
Bananas are an excellent source of carbohydrates, potassium and vitamin B6, all of which can help boost energy levels.
Oats are a combination of high fibre and complex, slow-digesting carbohydrates. This results in a slow release of sugar into the blood after a meal which provides a sustained supply of energy to the body.
What you’ll love about these Banana Bars:
- 5 mins prep
- Perfect for on the go
- Gluten free & Vegan
Ingredients to make Breakfast Banana Bars
Using these 3 simple ingredients you will either already have or can get from any supermarket. (brands featured aren’t sponsored)
- Oats – Help to bind the mashed banana. I opt for gluten-free oats but any will work.
- Bananas – When mashed help make the oats stick together.
- Cinnamon – Adds a natural sweetness and spice to these banana bars.
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Oats – You could also use oat flour to make these bars. You could also try using buckwheat if you’re sensitive to oats.
- Additions – Try adding blueberries, strawberries, or chocolate chips to the mix for some great flavour bursts!
- Cinnamon – This is an optional ingredient that I think boosts the flavour but you could definitely leave it out.
- Deluxe – I love these healthy oat bars as they are but adding extras is also easy to do! You could also top them with yoghurt or fruit compot.
- Kid friendly – Kids will love these as they are (especially if you put chocolate chips into them). Make mini bars or cut them up into small pieces for little ones. Or serve them with my Peanut Butter Milkshake to get top marks!
See this 5 Ingredient Chocolate Flapjack recipe for another delicious oat based recipe!
How to make Breakfast Banana Bars
Step 1: Pre-heat your oven to 200C. To a large mixing bowl add the peeled bananas and mash with a fork.
Step 2: Now add in the oats, cinnamon and water and mix together.
Step 3: Line a with baking paper and pour in the mix. Press down firmly with the back of a fork to compact it into the tin. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 200C.
Hint: Riper bananas make for sweeter oat bars.
Leftover banana oat bars are great! Keep them in an airtight container or bag for up to 2 days at room temperature. Or store them in the fridge or up to 4 days. You can also freeze these for another day. Just allow to defrost overnight.
This can happen if you don’t allow them to cool. They will come out the oven still soft. Just allow them to cool and they will firm up.
Try adding in chocolate chips, nuts, seeds, berries. Whatever you fancy!
You can freeze these for another day. Just allow to defrost overnight.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Tried this Banana Oat Pancakes recipe? Please leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and let me know how you get on. Hearing positive feedback is one of the best parts of creating recipes so please review it below and leave a comment!
P.S Never miss a new recipe! Get more healthy recipes sent straight to your inbox weekly – Subscribe and receive a free recipe eBook!
Breakfast Banana Bars
- 6 ripe bananas
- 400 g gluten free oats (roughly 4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tbsp water
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C. To a large mixing bowl add the peeled bananas and mash with a fork.
- Now add in the oats, cinnamon and water and mix together
- Line a square baking tin with baking paper and pour in the mix. Press down firmly with the back of a fork to compact it into the tin.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 200C. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing into bars.
Please note that Nutrition information is a rough estimate