Introducing the tastiest Vegan Mac and Cheese that’s also gluten-free! This recipe is incredibly simple to make, full of flavour and will totally impress your friends and family. Using simple and easily accessible ingredients, this deliciously tasty Mac and Cheese recipe is going to be a total hit with the whole family!
Recipe Difficulty – Easy!
Why this recipe works
It is the ultimate comforting dish when you feel like something wholesome and homely, particularly during these cold winter nights!
If you’re taking part in Veganuary then this recipe is a must try! It’s creamy, rich, cheesy, delicious and extremely comforting just what a Mac & Cheese should be. This Vegan Mac and Cheese recipe is the perfect comfort food for a quiet night in, but it is equally as good for wowing some guests. I honestly don’t think anyone will notice that it’s totally dairy free!
I was inspired to create this recipe as my Vegan Cauliflower Cheese recipe was so popular! Using a similar cashew based creamy sauce which I also used in my Vegan Dauphinoise Potatoes recipe I know that this Vegan Mac and Cheese recipe is going to be a total hit at your dinner table! Served with the ultimate Chickpea Flat Bread to really mop up those sauces, I guarantee you won’t look back!
Ingredients to make Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Cashews – these are my hero ingredient in this recipe! When blended cashews are incredibly creamy! Got any spare, then use them to make my Vegan White Sauce (Bechamel)
- Nutritional Yeast – this is also a hero ingredient! Nutritional yeast has a nutty cheesy flavour that mimics the taste of standard cheese.
- Almond Milk – I have used almond milk as I am dairy free, it also tends to have a thin consistency which works really well in this Vegan Mac and Cheese recipe.
- Dijon Mustard – I love adding dijon mustard as it provides a gentle and subtle acidity which cuts through the creaminess of the sauce.
- Macaroni – I use gluten free macaroni for this recipe but you can use whatever pasta you have or can get hold of. Penne would also work really well!
- Olive Oil – Olive oil provides a silkiness to the sauce and also adds additional flavour to the recipe.
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Almond milk – You could substitute this for soya milk, or oat milk. Try to use a thin textured plant-based milk if possible! If you aren’t vegan or dairy free you could use standard cows milk
- Dijon mustard – You could substitute this for a high quality wholegrain mustard
- Macaroni – I have used gluten free pasta in this recipe. If you aren’t gluten free you could use standard macaroni. Other types of pasta also work well in this recipe such as penne pasta.
- Kid-friendly– this is a great recipe that I’m sure the kids are going to love! Why not get them involved in cooking this recipe? For more kid-friendly recipes, be sure to check out the best Free-From Banana Bread or my Easy One-Pot Pasta Bake – I guarantee these will be a hit with children!
- Deluxe – If you want to take this recipe to the next level, you could add a rosemary crumb on top! To do this, blend some gluten free bread with freshly chopped rosemary and 1 tablespoon of extra nutritional yeast. Sprinkle on top and this will really take this vegan Mac and Cheese recipe to the next level. If you have dinner guests, you could serve it with a fresh crisp green salad or even my Chickpea Flat Bread recipe to really mop of those creamy, cheesy sauces!
- Spicy – this is a mild recipe for all of the family to enjoy. If you enjoy spice, feel free to drizzle with hot sauce or add some freshly topped chillis on top! You may also want to check out my 10 Minute Spicy Pasta recipe for a little kick!
How to make Vegan Mac and Cheese
Step 1: Firstly, pre-heat your oven to 200C / 390F and boil your pasta as per packet instructions. Meanwhile in a blender cup add cashews, almond milk, nutritional yeast, dijon mustard, olive oil and large pinch of salt and pepper and blend until smooth
Step 2: Drain the pasta and add to a skillet pan or baking dish and pour over the sauce and mix in.
Hint: You can also top with grated vegan cheese, which is what I have chosen to do below.
Step 3: Then place in the oven for 20 minutes at 200C / 390F or until the top has turned slightly golden.
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days! You can also freeze this recipe. To freeze, allow the Mac and Cheese to cool before transferring to an airtight container and freezing for up to 2 months. Defrost the Mac and Cheese fully by leaving in the fridge for 24 hours, then pop into the oven to reheat until piping hot!
This cheesy sauce in this recipe is primarily made from blended cashews! Combined with some nutritional yeast, almond milk and hint of dijon mustard, this vegan cheesy sauce will be hard to tell there is no dairy in it!
Definitely, this is a superb recipe to make if you are having guest over and want minimal fuss. On the day or one day before, simply follow the recipe up until the point of placing in the oven. Instead, pop it in the fridge until you are ready to cook it. Ideally you’d want to cook from room temperature, so remove from the fridge an hour or so before place in the oven.
Yes absolutely! Allow allow the Mac and Cheese to cool before transferring to an airtight container and freezing for up to 2 months. To cook from frozen, ensure the Mac and Cheese is fully defrosted by leaving in the fridge for 24 hours, then pop into the over to reheat until piping hot!
You Might Also Like…
Tried this Vegan Mac and Cheese recipe? Please leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and let me know how you get on. Hearing positive feedback is one of the best parts of creating recipes so please review it below and leave a comment!
P.S Never miss a new recipe! Get more healthy recipes sent straight to your inbox weekly – Subscribe and receive a free recipe eBook!
Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Skillet pan or baking dish
- 400 g gluten free macaroni (or any pasta works)
- 100 g cashews soaked in warm water
- 300 ml unsweetened almond milk try to use a thin texture one
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Large pinch salt & pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C / 390F
- Boil your pasta as per packet instructions (I aim to cook it al dente)
- Meanwhile place 100g cashews into a blender cup and add in the 300ml milk, 6 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 2 teaspoon dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon olive oil and large pinch of salt and pepper and blend until smooth
- Drain the pasta and add to a skillet pan or baking dish and pour over the sauce and mix in
- Hint: You can also top with vegan grated cheese if you wish, which is what I have done. Place in the oven for 20 minutes at 200C / 390F
Please note that Nutrition information is a rough estimate