Introducing the most delicious Creamy Cashew Carbonara that’s both vegan & gluten free!
It’s incredibly easy to make, full of flavour and ready in just 20 minutes.
Since being dairy and egg free (over 8 years now) I have always missed eating a tasty carbonara so I challenged myself to make a plant-based version that still has a creamy texture.
This is the perfect dinner to share with family or friends.
I have even made a vegan “bacon” that you can serve with it for the complete Carbonara experience!
You’re going to absolutely love this Creamy Cashew Carbonara as it’s:
- Extremely Easy
- Ready in 20 mins
- Gluten free & Vegan
Using these simple ingredients.
As you can see this vegan carbonara sauce is so light, creamy and trust me it’s absolutely delicious.
You won’t believe how quick and simple this is to knock together meaning it’s the perfect midweek dinner to share.
From pot to plate in just 20 minutes you can simply serve it up at the table like this and let the family tuck in.
Believe me they won’t be disappointed.
Even if you don’t suffer with food allergies, are not vegan or plant-based but want to introduce or try more plant-based alternatives then this recipe is perfect for you!
If you try this Creamy Cashew Carbonara let me know!
Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames using #healthylivingjames . I absolutely love seeing and sharing your recreations!
I have also created a vegan bacon alternative that is perfect for mixing into this plant-based carbonara. It’s crispy, salty and when mixed into a carbonara tastes just like the real thing.
If you fancy trying something a little more experimental then you have to give it a try!
On Pinterest? Why not save this photo below or any of your favourite photos to your boards so you can come back and try it at another time!
Creamy Cashew Carbonara
- 500 g gluten free spaghetti (I use brown rice spaghetti)
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
Cashew Carbonara Sauce
- 200 g cashews (soaked for 10 minutes in hot water)
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (or small garlic clove crushed)
- 210 ml unsweetened plant-based milk (I used almond)
- 2 pinches salt
- 4 pinches black pepper
- Firstly soak your cashews in hot water
- Now place your spaghetti onto a boil and cook as per packet instructions
- A couple minutes before the pasta is cooked, add the frozen peas and boil for a further few minutes
- Drain the cashews and add all the carbonara sauce ingredients to a blender cup and blend until smooth, roughly 2 minutes
- Now drain the pasta and place back into the pot you boiled it in, adding in the 2 handfuls of spinach and stiring until they wilt
- Lastly pour over the sauce, stir through and serve