This Speedy Lentil Bolognese is incredibly simple to make, comforting and packed full of flavour.
Veg packed hearty sauce with pasta…. what’s not to love?
It’s the perfect family friendly recipe using lentils which are great plant-based source of protein and help to create a meaty texture and flavour twist to an all time classic.
What you’re going to LOVE is that it’s:
- 20 minutes
- Veg packed
- Roughly £1.50pp
- Gluten free & vegan
Using these ingredients you can create an inexpensive healthy dinner that feeds 4 for roughly £6, that’s only £1.50pp.
Now onto how you make this incredible sauce.
You honestly won’t believe how simple this recipe is to make.
With a few minutes of prep all you need to do is add all the ingredients to a large pot, mix together and cook for 15 minutes.
I absolutely love cooking one-pot dishes especially throughout the Autumn or Winter. This Lentil Bolognese is no exception, it’s so comforting!
If you try this Speedy Lentil Bolognese let me know!
Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames using #healthylivingjames . I absolutely love seeing and sharing your recreations!
This vegan bolognese obviously goes perfectly with pasta, I really love using brown rice spaghetti as it’s naturally gluten free but it also works really well with gluten free penne or even brown rice/quinoa.
I have also posted a Lentil Shepherd’s Pie recipe showing how you can make a couple tweaks to this bolognese sauce to turn it into an amazing vegan Shepherd’s Pie.
Now for that close up of the delicious lentil pasta sauce!
When making recipes like this it’s always a good idea to make extra to either use for healthy meal prep lunches or freeze it down to have as a quick healthy dinner for an evening where you don’t have time.
Doing this really helps you to stop gravitating towards takeaways and fast food.
On Pinterest? Why not save this photo below or any of your favourite photos to your boards so you can come back and try it at another time!
Give it a try!
Speedy Lentil Bolognese
- Olive oil
- 1 large red onion finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 200 g mushrooms sliced
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 150 g tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 400g tins of lentils
- 1 tsp veg stock powder
- 1 tbsp tamari
- Firstly prep your veg as per the instructions above
- Place a large pot on a medium heat adding the olive oil, garlic, onion, veg and herbs and fry together for a couple minutes until they soften
- Then add the tinned tomatoes, lentils, tamari and veg stock powder and mix
- Cook on a medium/high heat for 15 minutes until it starts to thicken making sure to stir every 5 minutes
- Meanwhile cook your pasta as per packet instructions
- Simply serve on top or mixed into your pasta, however you prefer. Top with fresh basil if you have any and black pepper