Delicious Lentil Shepherd’s Pie perfect for this time of the year!
It’s incredibly easy to make and trust me this will be a massive hit with family and friends.
What you’re going to love is that it’s:
- Under £10
- & Delicious!
This Lentil Shepherd’s pie really gives you that comforting feel you want from a simple healthy dinner during the colder months.
It will also easily feed 4 for under £10!
Using these simple ingredients it’s the best vegan and gluten free shepherd’s pie you’ll make!
This plant-based lentil sauce is adapted from my Speedy Lentil Bolognese which even has a recipe video you can watch.
It’s absolutely packed full of flavour and given a real meaty texture from the lentils.
Lentils are a great source of protein and can be a great alternative to meat such as beef.
Now onto one of the best parts… topping with the mash of course!
I decided to use white potatoes this time but this recipe is so versatile you could even use pumpkin for some halloween vibes, sweet potato or butternut squash if you wanted to.
I keep the skin on for speed and a slightly more rustic look and then simply mash with olive oil but vegan butter would also work well.
If you try this Lentil Shepherd’s Pie let me know!
Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames using #healthylivingjames . I absolutely love seeing and sharing your recreations!
If you’re like me then you just LOVE the crunchy bits and I’m definitely one to “tidy” up the edges in the dish afterwards just for them!
If you wanted to change this from being a vegan recipe you could easily swap the lentils for beef if you wish.
Now a close up to make you drool even more before I share the recipe with you.
On Pinterest? Why not save this photo below or any of your favourite photos to your boards so you can come back and try it at another time!
I can’t wait to hear what you think of this one!
Lentil Shepherd's Pie
- Olive oil
- Large red onion finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 200 g mushrooms sliced
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 150 g tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2x 400 g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2x 400 g tins of green lentils
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp veg stock powder
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 kg potatoes
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C
- Firstly prep you veg as per the instructions above
- Place a large pot on a medium heat adding the olive oil, garlic, onion, veg and herbs and fry together for a couple minutes until it softens
- Then add the tinned tomatoes, lentils, peas, tamari and veg stock powder and mix
- Cook on a medium/high heat for 15 minutes until it starts to thicken making sure to stir every 5 minutes
- Meanwhile boil the potatoes, I keep the skin on to save time. Once boiled simply mash with olive oil or vegan butter and a pinch of salt & pepper
- Add the mix into a deep dish and top with the mashed potato
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes at 200C