Introducing the quickest curry you’ll ever make….10 minute Chickpea and Spinach Curry! This simple and tasty Chickpea and Spinach Curry can be made using just one pot in under 10 minutes and costs roughly £1 per portion, what’s not to love?
Recipe Difficulty – Easy
Why this recipe works
One-pot cooking is my favourite type of dinners. Minimal effort, delicious and not much washing up! Trust me, once you’ve tried this recipe, you’ll be making it time and time again!
This is the perfect dish for when you don’t have much time and fancy something comforting, especially during these colder months! You will be surprised how much flavour this packs in from cooking for such little time. The more you make this curry the quicker you will become. I definitely think it can be made in under 10 minutes quite easily once you have made it a couple of times, give it a try!
As my 10 Minute Peanut Butter Curry was so popular, I wanted to create another recipe with different flavours, that was equally as delicious but could also be made when time is limited! Served with my Best Gluten Free Naan Bread, Quinoa or brown rice and topped with some freshly chopped coriander, I can guarantee this recipe will be on a weekly rotation in your household!
Ingredients to make 10 Minute Chickpea and Spinach Curry
- Garlic – adding garlic offers a gentle spice and adds more flavour.
- Onion – I’ve used a white onion in this recipe, however you could use a red onion if you preferred.
- Paprika – this spice provides a round, woody, smokey flavour that really takes this 10 Minute Chickpea & Spinach Curry to the next level!
- Cayenne Pepper – add depth, body and a gentle spice to the curry.
- Ground Coriander – a fresh tasting spice, that is floral and citrusy.
- Chilli Flakes – these provide a subtle, yet gentle heat to the Spinach and Chickpea Curry.
- Tomato Puree – this adds flavour, depth and body to the chickpea curry.
- Chickpeas – A great source of plant-based protein and adds some texture. If you have a tin spare then try making my Chickpea Tuna Salad.
- Vegetable Stock – adds to the general flavour as well as adding body and depth to the recipe.
- Coconut Milk – adds creaminess to the curry and pairs well with the other flavours. It also adds an extra subtle nutty flavour to the Chickpea and Spinach Curry without it being too overbearing.
- Ground Almonds – these thicken the sauce and add depth of flavour at the same time. I also use ground almonds in my Peanut Butter Granola recipe to help it bind.
- Spinach – this adds some greenery and extra nutrition. Alternatively, kale would work nicely too!
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Onion – I have used a white onion in this recipe, however a red onion would work equally as well.
- Chickpeas – you could substitute for any other white bean e.g. cannellini beans.
- Spinach – you could substitute for another leafy green vegetable such as kale or spring greens.
- Spices – if you are missing a spice or don’t like one of the spices used in this recipe, you can leave it out. Although it will impact its taste ever so slightly, the flavours from the other ingredients will still make this 10 min chickpea and spinach curry taste delicious! You could also opt to using curry powder.
- Ground Almonds – if you don’t have any ground almonds or are nut free then you could just leave it out and have a slightly runnier texture curry.
- Kid-friendly – this is a family friendly recipe that is mild so I am sure most children will enjoy it! However, if you have a child that is particularly sensitive to spice then feel free to remove or reduce the quantities of cayenne pepper and chilli flakes. Check out this delicious 10 Minute Creamy Tomato Soup recipe that may be better suited for children.
- Deluxe – this is a delicious recipe that requires minimal effort if you have dinner guests. To make this recipe look really impressive – serve with fresh limes wedges, freshly topped coriander and my super duper easy – Best Gluten Free Naan Bread, brown rice or Quinoa. You could even end the night with this delicious Vegan Chocolate Tart (which also only requires 10 minute prep time!)
- Spicy – This is a mild recipe for all to enjoy. If you prefer spice, then feel free to up the quantities of cayenne pepper and chilli flakes, you could even add some freshly chopped chillis on top. Alternatively, if you don’t like spice, you can reduce or remove both of these ingredients.
How to make 10 Minute Chickpea and Spinach Curry
Step 1: Firstly, dice the onion and crush the garlic. Add to a pot with oil over a medium heat for a few minutes until the onion softens.
Step 2: Now add all the spices, tomato puree and stir.
Step 3: Add the drained chickpeas, coconut milk, vegetable stock, ground almonds and cook on a medium/high heat for 5 minutes making sure to stir.
Step 4: Finally, take off the heat and stir through the spinach until it wilts.
This is the perfect recipe to make for meal prepping. You can store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days. You can also freeze this recipe so you have a healthy meal for another time. If freezing, allow the Chickpea & Spinach Curry to fully defrost before re-heating on a low heat until piping hot!
Yes, leave out the ground almonds for a slightly runnier curry. You could also leave out the stock so that it’s not so runny.
Yes absolutely, this recipe can be frozen ahead for a healthy meal another time. If freezing, allow the Chickpea and Spinach Curry to full defrost before re-heating on a low heat until piping hot!
Certainty! Feel free to substitute the chickpea with any other type of white bean e.g. cannelloni beans!
No this recipe is mild for all to enjoy. However if you are particularly sensitive to spice, feel free to remove or reduce the quantity of cayenne pepper and chilli flakes. Alternatively, if you like spice you can increase these quantities or top with freshly topped chillis.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Tried this 10 Minute Chickpea & Spinach Curry recipe? Please leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and let me know how you get on. Hearing positive feedback is one of the best parts of creating recipes so please review it below and leave a comment!
P.S Never miss a new recipe! Get more healthy recipes sent straight to your inbox weekly – Subscribe and receive a free recipe eBook!
10 Minute Chickpea & Spinach Curry
- large pot
- Chopping Board
- 2 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 onion roughly diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 cans chickpeas drained
- 1 veg stock cube/pot
- 200 ml water
- 1 can coconut milk
- 60 g ground almonds
- 200 g spinach
- Firstly, dice the onion and crush the garlic. Add to a pot with oil over a medium heat for a few minutes until the onion softens
- Now add all the spices, tomato puree and stir
- Add the drained chickpeas, coconut milk, vegetable stock, ground almonds and cook on a medium/high heat for 5 minutes making sure to stir
- Finally, take off the heat and stir through the spinach until it wilts
Please note that Nutrition information is a rough estimate