Introducing this one-bowl Chickpea Tuna Salad, one of my favourite recipes of this year! It’s incredibly easy to make, ready in less than 5 minutes, summery, and the uses for this gluten-free and vegan tuna salad are endless. And most importantly, it’s delicious! Don’t wait to get started with this delicious plant based mock tuna recipe!
Recipe Difficulty – Very Easy
Why this recipe works
This is perfect as a side for a BBQ, as a vegan tuna sandwich, or on a jacket potato! You can also try it mixed into a pasta salad. It is great all year long and is so versatile that eating it won’t get old!
Since being dairy and egg-free and also reducing my fish consumption, I have totally missed tuna mayo salad. As a kid, it used to be one of my favourite things to have on sandwiches. This looks and tastes really similar to me, so if you’re the same, then you HAVE to give this a try!
You can make this vegan chickpea mayo salad in under 5 minutes with just one bowl, making it the perfect quick lunch, dinner, or side dish.
Ingredients to make Chickpea Tuna Salad
- Chickpeas – also known as garbanzo beans, form the base of this healthy vegan tuna mayo salad. If you have any spare tins, try making my Peanut Butter Blondies.
- Sweetcorn – adds colour, a slight crunch, and a delicious flavour.
- Vegan Mayonnaise – There are so many great vegan mayonnaise options out there now. I was really impressed by the taste and had to double check the jar to make sure I hadn’t bought the wrong one! If you want to make your own then try my Easy Homemade Vegan Mayonnaise.
- Fresh Dill and Parsley – should be finely chopped.
- Lemon Juice – just a squeeze will add a bright flavour to this dish.
- Olive Oil – helps bring the perfect consistency to this chickpea tuna mayo salad.
- Salt & Pepper – finish off the flavours perfectly.
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Chickpeas – if you don’t have vegan limitations, you can use canned tuna or turn it into an egg salad.
- Vegan Mayonnaise – You can use hummus, mashed avocado, or tahini in place of the mayonnaise.
- Herbs – There are a variety of herbs you can substitute for dill and parsley.
- Spicy – add some sriracha sauce for a nice spicy kick!
- Deluxe – serve alongside some slices of avocado for a pretty look. You can also add raisins for some colour and flavour. Or for an extra “fishy” taste add in some crumbled up nori sheets (seaweed).
- Kid friendly – serve as a sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and other favourite toppings. Use gluten-free bread or pita bread.
See this Mixed Bean Salad for another great summer dish!
How to make Chickpea Tuna Salad
Step 1: Firstly, drain and rinse the chickpeas, drain the corn, and finely chop the herbs. Put the drained chickpeas in a bowl and roughly mash with a fork. Add the other ingredients on top.
Step 2: Mix together and enjoy!
Hint: Make sure to rinse the chickpeas for best flavour.
Leftover chickpea mayo salad will store well in the fridge in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
I certainly think so! I loved tuna salad sandwiches as a child and have been missing them with my dietary changes. This chickpea salad hits the spot perfectly!
As long as you use vegan mayonnaise, it is! You can make it on your own or buy it at the store.
You can! You could use hummis, Greek yogurt, mashed avocados, or tahini for a very similar creamy flavour.
Chickpea Tuna Salad will keep for a few days, so I would recommend making it up to a day ahead of time. That will allow the flavours to meld well, but still give you a day or two for leftovers!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Tried this Chickpea Tuna Salad recipe? Please leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and let me know how you get on. Hearing positive feedback is one of the best parts of creating recipes so please review it below and leave a comment!
P.S Never miss a new recipe! Get more healthy recipes sent straight to your inbox weekly – Subscribe and receive a free recipe eBook!
Chickpea Tuna Salad
- 1 large mixing bowl
- fork (to mash)
- Chopping Board
- 1x 400g can chickpeas drained & rinsed (drained weight 240g)
- 1x 200g tinned sweetcorn (drained weight 165g)
- 2 heaped Tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- Small Handful fresh dill finely chopped
- Small Handful fresh parsley finely chopped
- squeeze lemon juice
- glug olive oil
- large pinch salt & pepper
- To a large mixing bowl add the drained chickpeas and roughly mash with a fork
- Now add all the other ingredients and simply mix together
Please note that Nutrition information is a rough estimate