Introducing this comforting Awesome Aubergine Bake!
It’s incredibly simple to make, full of flavour and both gluten free & vegan.
Perfect for a healthy dinner with minimal ingredients and prep.
It’s so flexible as it can be a dinner main, side dish or even used the next day in your lunch sandwiches/wraps.
WHAT YOU’RE GOING TO LOVE ABOUT THIS AUBERGINE BAKE:
- Super Easy
- Simple Ingredients
- Family friendly
- Gluten Free & Vegan
Using these simple ingredients available in all supermarkets
Aubergine is the hero ingredient in this dish.
Sliced thinly into circles and quickly boiled to help soften (optional).
Layered with the delicious lentil sauce creates the most tasty bake that the whole family will love.
Once baked the aubergines are tender but provide the most delicious “meaty’ texture.
Whether you’re vegan, taking part in Veganuary or meat free Mondays this recipe is a must try!
This recipe is similar to a Moussaka but without the white sauce which makes it much quicker to make.
I love adding grated vegan cheese on top of mine before it goes in the oven but this is totally optional.
It works just as well without the cheese!
The sauce is packed full of lentils providing decent plant-based protein.
It also means this recipe is naturally low carb for those who follow this way of eating.
Serve this up to your family/guests and I bet it won’t last long!
Therefore the thing I love most about this recipe is how versatile it is for how you serve it.
You can serve this up as a
- Side dish
- Lunch meal prep
- Cold in your sandwiches
IF YOU TRY THIS AWESOME AUBERGINE BAKE LET ME KNOW!
Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames using #healthylivingjames . I absolutely love seeing and sharing your recreations!
Finally, are you on Pinterest? Why not save this photo below to your boards so you can come back and try it at another time!
Awesome Aubergine Bake
- 2 aubergines sliced
- 1 large red onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- large pinch chilli flakes (or 1/2 fresh chilli)
- 2 400g tins of cooked lentils drained and rinsed
- 2 400g tinned tomatoes
- 100 g vegan cheese (optional)
- Firstly pre-heat your oven to 200C
- To a large pot on medium heat add oil, 1 diced red onion, 3 garlic cloves crushed, 2 tsp coriander, 1 tsp paprika, large pinch of chilli flakes and fry for a couple minutes
- Now add the drained lentil and tinned tomatoes along with a pinch of salt and pepper and stir
- Meanwhile slice the aubergine into circles (shown in the pics above) and add to a pot of hot water and boil for 5 minutes. This helps to soften them in the bake.
- Now to a large baking dish add some of the aubergine circles topped with lentil mix and build this up.
- Finally I topped mine with vegan cheese (optional) and placed in the oven at 200C for 20 minutes
LOVE AUBERGINES?? Then try my Peanut Butter & Miso Glazed Aubergines