Introducing the Ultimate Vegan Moussaka!
It’s ram packed full of flavour, this is a recipe you’re going to totally fall in love with.
I teamed up with my favourite vegan cheese brand Violife Foods to create a vegan version of the greek classic to celebrate veganuary. This is a sponsored recipe.
Even if you’re not vegan or plant-based but are looking for meat-free Monday recipes then this is definitely one to try!
You’re going to absolutely love this Moussaka as it’s:
- Family friendly
- Gluten free & Vegan
Ingredients you will need for the homemade tomato sauce and extras.
Ingredients you’ll need for the vegan white sauce.
This is the best vegan Béchamel sauce I have ever tried and is a must try!
Making your own tomato sauce couldn’t be easier than this one.
Packed full of flavour, veg and plant-based goodness it’s the perfect sauce to layer your moussaka.
The lentils in this sauce give it such a meaty texture it will even trick those meat eaters.
So Moussaka is essentially a Greek dish similar to lasagne with layered sliced aubergine, meaty tomato sauce and a white béchamel sauce.
Often the aubergine is pre-roasted but I much prefer the texture, structure and meatiness you get from not roasting it.
As a result it’s much faster and easier to make using raw aubergine… BONUS!
Finally I top mine with finely grated Violife Original Block to transform this into a cheesy dish of heaven ready for the oven.
If you try this Ultimate Vegan Moussaka let me know!
Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames using #healthylivingjames . I absolutely love seeing and sharing your recreations!
Give it a try, It’s the perfect family friendly free-from recipe to try on these colder evenings.
I can’t wait to hear what you think!
On Pinterest? Why not save this photo below or any of your favourite photos to your boards so you can come back and try it at another time!
Ultimate Vegan Moussaka
- 200 g violife original cheese (finely grated)
- 2 large aubergines sliced into thin strips
Tomato Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 100 g vine tomatoes chopped into quarters
- 150 g mushrooms sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 cans of lentils drained and rinsed (400g x2) you could swap for black beans
- 500 g passata 1 large glass jar
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 handfuls of fresh kale or spinach
- Salt & Pepper
Vegan White Sauce Ingredients:
- 200 g cashews soaked for 15 mins in warm water
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 pinches salt
- 4 pinches pepper
- 200 ml unsweetened plant milk I use almond
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- Pre heat your oven to 200C and place your cashews in warm water
- Start by heating a large pot on a medium heat with olive oil, garlic, onion along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook this down for a couple minutes
- Meanwhile chop the mushroom and tomatoes and add them to the pot along with the dried basil and oregano to cook down until soft
- Whilst that is cooking, drain and rinse the lentils before adding to the pot with the passata and tomato puree and stir. Cook all this together on a low/medium heat for 10 minutes
- Now slice the aubergines into long strips from top to bottom
- Once the tomato sauce is cooked, simply stir through the kale or spinach allowing it to wilt down
- Now add all the white sauce ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth
- Simply layer up the Moussaka how you like it. I go for a layer of aubergine, tomato sauce, white sauce, layer of aubergine and so on leaving enough white sauce to top.
- Finally sprinkle over the finely grated violife cheese and place in the oven at 200C for 35 minutes
If you have leftovers, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Looking for more recipes using cheese? Try my Cheesy Bean Pasta Bake