Say hello to my extremely quick and easy Socca bread recipe! It is naturally gluten-free and vegan and so yummy! This healthy chickpea bread is also incredibly versatile and can be used with so many different recipes.
Recipe Difficulty – Very Easy
Why this recipe works
This chickpea flour flatbread is so great in so many different situations! The only thing it takes to change the flavour is swapping out the paprika for your seasoning of choice. It can quickly become the perfect side to some Mushroom Alfredo Pasta, dipping into a 10 Minute Peanut Butter Curry, or even dipped in my Carrot and Coriander Soup!
Ingredients to make Socca
- Chickpea Flour – is also known as gram flour. If you have a big bag and looking for more recipes using chickpea flour then check out my Gluten Free Pizza Base.
- Paprika – is an optional seasoning depending on the flavour you’re going for.
- Cold Water – helps to make the batter for this delicious bread.
- Olive Oil – adds a nice flavour to the batter.
- Salt – brings out the flavours you choose for this socca.
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Chickpea Flour – other flours may also work with this, though chickpea is what the classic recipe calls for.
- Paprika – Oregano is another seasoning I love to use in this chickpea flatbread.
- Olive Oil – can be replaced with other neutral oils. Coconut oil is a great choice.
- Deluxe – is all about what you dip this in! It’s great with a creamy pasta, savoury dip, or yummy soup, among other things! You could also try a breakfast pizza topped with eggs, Canadian bacon, cheese, and veggies.
- Kid friendly – Socca is already a great treat for kids! Use a milder seasoning like oregano if the paprika is too strong. One way to really make sure your kids love it is to use it as a pizza base!
See this spicy pasta recipe that would go great with this socca!
How to make Socca
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 200C with a skillet pan inside.
Put the flour, paprika, water, olive oil, and salt into a mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth. Allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken while the skillet heats.
Step 2: Remove the skillet from the oven. Brush some extra oil on the bottom of the pan and then pour the batter in.
Step 3: Bake for 15-18 minutes or until crispy. Remove from the pan and then slice.
Hint: Make sure to add the ingredients in the listed order.
If you have any leftover chickpea flour bread, store it in an airtight container at room temperature. You could also freeze it for a couple of months.
My socca flatbread recipe is perfect for this! It’s already vegan and gluten-free. Simply add some vegan garlic butter on top near the end of the baking time and enjoy!
Socca is a popular French food that is essentially a mix between flatbread and a chickpea flour pancake or crepe. It is a common street food in Nice, France. Socca is originally from Italy where it is known as farinata.
Socca goes great with so many things! It would be great with creamy or pesto pasta, soups, curries, salads, and more! Just changing the main seasoning can make it pair great with so many flavours.
You can! Make the batter the night before and stick it in the fridge to save yourself a little time the next morning!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Tried this Socca recipe? Please leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and let me know how you get on. Hearing positive feedback is one of the best parts of creating recipes so please review it below and leave a comment!
P.S Never miss a new recipe! Get more healthy recipes sent straight to your inbox weekly – Subscribe and receive a free recipe eBook!
- 1 cup chickpea flour 120g
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup cold water 250ml
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large pinch salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C with a skillet pan inside.Add the flour, paprika, water, olive oil and salt into a mixing bowl (in that order) and whisky until smooth. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken whilst the skillet heats up.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, brush the bottom with extra oil and then pour the batter in.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until crispy. Then remove from the pan and slice.
Please note that Nutrition information is a rough estimate