Carrot & Coriander Soup has to be one of my all-time favourite flavoured soups! This easy recipe is extremely simple to make and is absolutely packed full of flavour! With only 7 healthy ingredients that are likely already in your kitchen, this affordable Carrot and Coriander soup will take less than 35 minutes from start to finish!
Recipe Difficulty – Very Easy!
Why this recipe works
This carrot and coriander soup is definitely in my top favourite recipes! It’s delicious and the best part is, it’s so good for you, too! As it is a homemade soup, it’s free from preservatives, dairy, sugar etc. most of which can be found in common shop-bought soups!
Soups are often my go-to for a cold day, but I honestly love to enjoy soups at any time of year! It is smooth and creamy and makes for a great light dinner in the summer! It is one of those great vegan recipes that is naturally vegan! No need to find a separate vegan option!
For another delicious root vegetable soup try my Parsnip Soup.
If you’d prefer a slow cooker carrot and coriander soup, I’ve got you covered there as well! My Slow Cooker Carrot and Coriander Soup recipe inspired me to create this recipe, however I wanted to create a recipe that didn’t involve the slow cooker, but tasted equally as delicious! Both soup recipes pair really well with this amazing Chickpea Flatbread recipe, to really mop up those last drops of soup!
Ingredients to make the Best Carrot & Coriander Soup
- Garlic – is one of the best flavours to add to vegetable soups!
- Onion – also adds a great flavour. I used a large red onion, but you could also use a yellow or white onion.
- Dried Coriander – is the hero ingredient of this recipe! It brings a mix of citrus and pepper flavours.
- Carrots – make up the bulk of this recipe. The sweet carrot flavour makes for a delicious, classic soup! If you have any spare try baking my Gluten Free Carrot Cake.
- Vegetable Stock – adds a great base of flavour for this easy carrot and coriander soup. I also use this as the base in my Mushroom Soup.
- Coriander – leaves (Cilantro in North America) add a great citrus flavour to this soup. I throw in the leaves along with the coriander stalks!
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Olive Oil – You can use other oils in place of the extra virgin olive oil. For instance, canola, vegetable, or sunflower oil will work.
- Garlic – if you don’t have fresh garlic cloves, you can use fresh or dried minced garlic.
- Vegetable Stock – You could also use vegetable broth instead. If you don’t need to adhere to a vegan diet, chicken broth or chicken stock would work as well.
- Dried Coriander – You can use ground coriander if need be, but the flavor doesn’t hold as well as the coriander seeds. For 1 teaspoon of ground coriander, use 3/4 teaspoon of dried coriander and then adjust for taste.
- Hand Blender – If you have one, you can definitely make carrot and coriander soup in soup maker! Fry up the vegetables and then add the rest to the soup maker. You could also mix the ingredients in the food processor if that is what you have on hand.
- Spicy – For a spicy carrot and coriander soup, add some chilli flakes or curry powder into the carrot and coriander soup recipe for a touch of spice!
- Deluxe – a great way to level up your carrot and coriander soup is by topping with a small amount of coriander and swirling in some vegan sour cream or coconut milk. Another option is to add a squeeze of lemon juice or lime juice at the end for a bright, citrusy flavour. You could also serve it with this quick and easy Chickpea Flatbread recipe.
- Kid friendly – Soup recipes are generally a hit with kids naturally! Serve your carrot coriander soup with some crusty bread or crackers so kids can enjoy dipping in their soup! If I am cooking with children, then I almost always make my Gluten Free Cinnamon Baked Doughnuts or Carrot Cake Cupcakes they’re really fun and simple to make and always a total hit with kids!
How to make the Best Carrot & Coriander Soup
Step 1: Firstly, roughly chop the onions, garlic, and carrots.
Step 2: Add the olive oil to a large saucepan and roughly fry the carrots, onion, garlic, and dried coriander for 3-4 minutes.
Step 3: Add the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
Step 4: Remove from heat and add in the fresh coriander. Use a hand or stick blender to blend the soup to your desired consistency.
Hint: Make sure the carrots are soft before blending so they can blend into the perfect soup consistency.
See how to make my Roasted Tomato Soup version of this recipe.
If you have leftover soup, you are in luck! Soup stores really easily. Once it has cooled, you can store this delicious soup in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 days. If you want to freeze it, store it in an airtight, lidded container and freeze for up to six months. I love to store it in meal-sized containers so I can grab one out when I need a light lunch.
Cumin and curry are two comparable spices that you could use. Parsley is a good substitute for the fresh coriander or cilantro leaves.
The taste can vary slightly based on your broth, the sweetness of carrots, etc., but it is generally described as a bright and healthy soup with delicious flavours blending together perfectly.
Very much so! The majority of the ingredients are fresh vegetables or spices! Carrot and Coriander Soup can be made gluten-free and vegan as well!
Yes! While coriander tea is too highly concentrated, the amount of coriander seeds and chopped fresh coriander in a coriander soup recipe is nothing to worry about! As for the carrots, while Vitamin A from animals may be harmful during pregnancy, the Vitamin A from the beta carotene in carrots is great! They also have some Vitamin K and Vitamin C! So you can keep this creamy carrot and coriander soup in your back pocket!
You might also like…
Tried this Best Carrot and Coriander Soup recipe? Please leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and let me know how you get on. Hearing positive feedback is one of the best parts of creating recipes so please review it below and leave a comment!
P.S Never miss a new recipe! Get more healthy recipes sent straight to your inbox weekly – Subscribe and receive a free recipe eBook!
Best Carrot and Coriander Soup
- Chopping Board
- large pot
- Hand blender
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 red onion
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1 kg carrots
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- small handful coriander
- pinch salt and pepper
- Firstly, roughly chop the onions, garlic and carrots
- Heat a large pot with olive oil and roughly fry the the carrots, onion, garlic and dried coriander for around 3-4 minutes
- Then add in the vegetable stock and simmer for 20 minutes or until the carrots are soft
- After 20 minutes, remove from the heat and add in a small handful of chopped coriander
- Use a hand blender to blend the soup until you have your desired consistency
Please note that Nutrition information is a rough estimate