Introducing the best gluten free & vegan carrot cake you’ll make!
This 2 tiered carrot cake layered with coconut icing is perfect for Easter. It’s simple, delicious and surprisingly easy to make.
It’s free-from gluten, dairy, eggs, oil and refined sugar.
This recipe is a paid collaboration with FREEE by Doves Farm.
You’re going to LOVE this Carrot Cake as it’s:
- Family friendly
- Gluten free & Vegan
Using these simple ingredients you can buy from most supermarkets.
I use FREEE by Doves Farm – Gluten Free Self Raising White Flour in this cake. It rises well and creates a light texture.
This dairy, egg, oil and refined sugar free carrot cake batter is so easy to make.
It’s so vibrant and fun to make, if you have any kids make sure to get them involved.
An optional extra to add to this gluten free carrot cake is this vegan coconut icing. Using just 2 ingredients it’s the perfect icing to place in the middle and on top to make this cake a show stopper!
This cake will be a total winner with family and friends at Easter.
Even your friends that aren’t gluten free or vegan will really enjoy this.
If you try this Gluten Free & Vegan Carrot Cake let me know!
Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames using #healthylivingjames . I absolutely love seeing and sharing your recreations!
I also wanted to create a gluten free & vegan cake that was oil-free as most are drowning in oil. You’ll be surprised how light, fluffy and moist this cake is without using any oil!
Now who fancies a slice of heaven?
On Pinterest? Why not save this photo below or any of your favourite photos to your boards so you can come back and try it at another time!
Gluten Free & Vegan Carrot Cake
- 1 cup ground flaxseed (100g)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups FREEE by Doves Farm Gluten Free Self Raising Flour (300g)
- 1 cup ground almonds (100g)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups coconut sugar (250g)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 150 ml plant-based milk (I used unsweetened almond)
- 2 large carrots grated
- 2 cans coconut milk fat (thick part at the top of a coconut milk can)
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- If making the coconut icing, place your coconut milk cans in the fridge overnight and place a mixing bowl in the fridge a couple hours before making the cake
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C
- To a bowl add the ground flaxseed and water, stir and leave to sit for 10 minutes until it thickens
- Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl add the FREEE by Doves Farm Gluten Free Self Raising White Flour, almonds, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, baking powder and mix until there are no lumps
- Now add the milk and flaxseed (when thickened) and mix. Grate in the carrot and mix again
- Grease 2 8 inch baking tins with oil (or baking paper for oil free) and pour in 1/2 the mixture into each
- Place in the oven for 25 mins at 200C. Once cooked remove from the oven and place in the fridge to cool for 90 minutes (needs to cool for adding the coconut icing)
- Once the cake is cooled add the coconut fat (the thick part at the top of the coconut can) to a mixing bowl along with 2 tbsp coconut sugar and whisk with a handheld machine until it starts to form (see photo above)
- Simply layer the icing onto both of the cakes, then place one on top of the other
Fancy a chocolate cake instead? Try my Free-From Chocolate Ganache Cake