Introducing a comforting Pea Soup that is extremely simple and quick to make. This easy pea soup recipe is vegan and gluten-free and contains only six ingredients! It’s the perfect healthy soup you can whip up in around 10 minutes.
Recipe Difficulty – Very Easy
Why this recipe works
Fall and winter are the perfect time for soups! If you haven’t tried pea soup, you are missing out! If you have, try out this quick and easy recipe and see what you think!
This peas soup recipe is so simple and easy. It makes about 3 servings of soup. It refrigerates and freezes great if you want to make extras for later.
This recipe is one of many vegan soup recipes on my website! Check out my Slow Cooker Carrot and Coriander Soup or a quicker Carrot & Coriander Soup for instance. Or my Creamy Parsnip Soup or this delicious Mushroom Soup.
Ingredients to make Pea Soup
- Olive Oil – is used to cook up the onion, ginger, and garlic.
- Garlic Cloves – add a fabulous flavour to this frozen pea soup.
- Fresh Ginger – should be peeled before chopping. If you have too much, try using it up in my Vermicelli Soup.
- Red Onion – gives a great undertone to this healthy pea soup.
- Frozen Peas – add the main flavour and colour to this dish. Have any spare then try my Mashed Peas recipe.
- Vegetable Stock – adds quick flavour and is the perfect vegan solution to form the base of this soup. If you have some spare stock cubes then try making my Vegetable Tagine.
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Olive Oil – other oils will work just fine in this green pea soup.
- Garlic Cloves – I definitely prefer fresh, but minced garlic or garlic powder will work in a pinch.
- Ginger – Another flavour that works great in this recipe is mint. Try fresh mint leaves in place of ginger.
- Red Onion – can be replaced with yellow or white onion.
- Spicy – add some chopped chilies, fresh or canned, to spice up this easy pea soup.
- Deluxe – top with fresh herbs, vegan cream, and/or croutons on top.
- Kid friendly – Kids love to dip things in soups! Try serving it with a grilled sandwich or some crackers.
See this Pea & Avocado Dip version of this recipe on my website!
How to make Pea Soup
Step 1: Firstly, roughly chop the onion and ginger and crush the garlic.
Step 2: In a large pot, combine the olive oil, garlic, onion, and ginger and fry until the onion softens.
Step 3: Add the frozen peas and vegetable stock and boil for 5 minutes.
Step 4: Hand or machine blend until smooth.
Hint: The peas can be added in their frozen state. No need to defrost!
Pea soup will keep in the fridge for up to a week. Simply reheat in a pot or in the microwave. You can also freeze extra soup for up to three months.
Yes! It’s my preferred method! Making pea soup with frozen peas is SO quick and easy. Your whole soup is ready to go in about ten minutes!
Based on its name, it definitely sounds vegetarian. You have to be careful, though. It is often made with chicken broth and a ham bone. My vegan pea soup recipe uses vegetable stock and other plant-based ingredients.
Pea soup actually dates all the way back to Ancient Greece! It is now popular in many places across the world. It became popular in Quebec when habitants didn’t have very much to cook with. (A habitant was one of the early French Canadian settlers). Swedish pea soup is usually served with mustard and followed up with pancakes with jam. It’s usually enjoyed on Thursdays.
The biggest difference between these two soups is the type of pea used. Pea soup has fresh or frozen peas. Split pea soup is made with dried peas that have been split. Split pea soup is also generally thinner with pieces of peas and ham visible in it. Pea soup is a little thicker and usually smoother.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Tried this Pea Soup recipe? Please leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and let me know how you get on. Hearing positive feedback is one of the best parts of creating recipes so please review it below and leave a comment!
P.S Never miss a new recipe! Get more healthy recipes sent straight to your inbox weekly – Subscribe and receive a free recipe eBook!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves crushed
- 1 thumb size fresh ginger peeled & sliced
- 1 small red onion diced
- 3 cups frozen peas
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- Firstly, roughly chop the onion and ginger, crush the garlic.
- To a large pot add the olive oil, crushed garlic, onion and ginger and fry together until the onion softens.
- Add the frozen peas and vegetable stock and boil for 5 minutes.
- Finally, hand blend or machine blend until smooth.
Please note that Nutrition information is a rough estimate