Tomato and Basil is just the perfect combination of ingredients right! I was In the local organic shop the other day they had the most amazing selection of fresh and local tomatoes. It really inspired me to make a soup as the autumn is nearly upon us now.
The flavour this tomato soup packs with only 7 healthy ingredients that you will already have in your kitchen is quite impressive!
You can always freeze this down, so make some more and use for a quick and healthy lunch during the week.
Roughly 2-4 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Cooking: 1hr 10 mins
- 1kg large tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 handfuls of fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 500-600ml veg stock (make sure its a decent sugar free one)
- salt and pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 160C.
- Chop the tomatoes into halves and place onto an oven baking tray, chopped side facing up.
- Cut the onion into quarter’s and place onto the tray.
- Squash the garlic cloves with a knife this will take the skin off and allow the flavour to come out. Place onto the tray.
- Drizzle over the olive oil and sprinkle the dried oregano on top along with a couple pinches of salt & pepper
- Place in the pre heated oven for 1 hour.
- Once the hour is up scrape the ingredients from the tray into a large pot and add the 500-600ml of stock along with the handful of fresh basil leaves (stalks are also fine).
- Bring to boil and then allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Now just hand blend until smooth.
Tip: A nice fresh crusty bread goes amazing with this (gluten free of course)