Are you ready for some amazingly creamy vegan tzatziki? This is such an easy recipe! With just six simple ingredients that are easily picked up at your local supermarket, this homemade tzatziki is well on its way to your table. Go ahead and try it and you’ll find out this is the best vegan tzatziki!
Recipe Difficulty – Very Easy
Why this recipe works
This vegan tzatziki sauce recipe is so versatile that it is perfect all year round! This plant-based tzatziki is perfect to put on Greek gyros or even as a gyros dip, but it doesn’t stop there! It is the perfect creamy base for so many things! The thicker consistency makes it a great dipping sauce, but you could even use it as a dressing for Greek salad dressing. Even your non-vegan friends will give this dairy free version a five star rating!
I was inspired to create this recipe as my Refreshing Pea and Avocado Dip on the site has been so popular! Dips are an all round summer winner and the perfect accompaniment to any summer BBQ. Pair this delicious Vegan Tzatziki dip with my Vegan and Gluten Free Jackfruit Gyros and you won’t look back!
Ingredients to make Vegan Tzatziki
- Coconut Yoghurt – This forms the base of this delicious sauce and also ensures it is vegan and dairy free.
- Garlic Clove – Adding garlic adds a subtle a kick of acidity and provides added flavour.
- Fresh Mint Leaves – need to be chopped before combining. They add a delicious and fresh flavour to this easy vegan tzatziki.
- Cucumber – Fresh cucumber is the hero ingredient in this recipe! My top tip is to make sure to grate cucumber!
- Lime Juice – finishes off the perfect flavour combination that gives that classic vegan tzatziki taste.
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Coconut Yogurt – I love the flavour that the coconut yogurt brings, but other non-dairy yogurt will work as well. Just make sure to use unsweetened vegan yogurt. If you aren’t doing vegan cooking, you could use plain yogurt as well.
- Lime juice – I would substitute this with fresh lemon juice. You could also use white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar in its place.
- Mint – I think mint works best and is what is traditionally used. However, fresh dill could be used in place of mint if you preferred.
- Garlic Cloves – If you don’t have fresh garlic, you could use minced garlic or garlic powder.
- Spicy – Add some minced jalapeños or cumin for spicy tzatziki. If you like spice, then be sure to check out my Spicy Butterbeans on Toast!
- Deluxe – Serve with fresh lime, coriander, and mint alongside a favourite side. It is great served as a dip with my Gluten Free Flat bread or my Chickpea Flat Bread. If you have dinner guests, this would be a great recipe to serve alongside my Jackfruit Gyros, which are mouthwateringly good!
- Kid friendly – Kids love to dip things! Try this with some baby carrots, celery sticks, or their favourite vegetable! Another great recipe I think you should try is this Smoky Homemade Hummus recipe. It is perfect for kids!
How to make Vegan Tzatziki
Step 1: Combine all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl
Step 2: Give the ingredients a good stir until they are combined. You could also mix them in a food processor.
Hint: Using thicker coconut yoghurt works better for this recipe.
I store any leftover vegan tzatziki in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Tzatziki ingredients include a yogurt base with grated cucumber, fresh herbs, and fresh garlic mixed in. To make tzatziki vegetarian, you don’t need to change a thing. For a vegan tzatziki recipe, simply use a plant-based yogurt. I recommend unsweetened coconut.
It is! Using a dairy-based greek yogurt or dairy-free yogurt for the creamy sauce cuts down the calories significantly when compared to ranch.
Greek tzatziki is good with so many things! It is typical in Greek dishes such as gyros and food from the Middle East like shawarma. It is also great as a sauce on sandwiches, burgers, etc. This yogurt dip is also great for vegetables!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Tried this Vegan Tzatziki Recipe? Please leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and let me know how you get on. Hearing positive feedback is one of the best parts of creating recipes so please review it below and leave a comment!
P.S Never miss a new recipe! Get more healthy recipes sent straight to your inbox weekly – Subscribe and receive a free recipe eBook!
- garlic press
- mixing bowl
- 8 tbsp coconut yoghurt heaped
- 1 clove garlic small
- small handful fresh mint leaves
- 2 1/2 inch cucumber
- big pinch Salt
- 1 juice lime
- To a mixing bowl add the coconut yogurt, grated cucumber, chopped mint, pressed garlic, lime juice and salt
- Mix until well combined
Please note that Nutrition information is a rough estimate