Introducing the tastiest Jackfruit Gyros.
You might be wondering what a Gyros is? It is a classic Greek dish, with the meat traditionally cooked on a vertical spit and then wrapped in flatbread.
But as you know I don’t eat meat and can’t eat gluten so I have created a totally homemade gluten-free & vegan Gyros full of flavour for you to try at home.
This is the easiest and tastiest meat-free Gyros so definitely give it a try.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’RE GOING TO LOVE ABOUT THIS JACKFRUIT GYROS
- Lunch or Dinner
- Perfectly balanced
- Vegan & Gluten-Free
Using these simple ingredients for the Jackfruit sauce.
Making the meat-free mix couldn’t be easier.
Simply adding ingredients to a pan until the flavours combine.
Honestly the flavours in the homemade Jackfruit sauce will totally surprise you.
Jackfruit is a great meat-free alternative to use in recipes. If you haven’t tried it before then definitely try it.
Available in most supermarkets now, it’s a tasty option to try.
When pressing down the jackfruit it bursts and makes it a similar texture and look to pulled pork.
Once fried, simply add to the oven (if using an oven proof pan) or transfer to a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes until it becomes a little crispy.
Obviously it wouldn’t be Gyros without a flatbread to wrap it in!
Being gluten-free I have to make my own. These homemade gluten-free flatbreads are perfect for wrapping up your Gyros.
Surprisingly using only 3 ingredients you can make these at home in around 10 minutes whilst your jackfruit is baking.
I follow my “The Best Gluten-Free Naan Bread” recipe.
Serve these up at the table and tuck in. It will be a recipe the family totally loves!
I love to add a few dollops of my Homemade Vegan Tzatziki to these along with any salad ingredients I have in the fridge such as lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber.
SO IF YOU TRY THESE JACKFRUIT GYROS LET ME KNOW!
Lastly, there are no limits with this Jackfruit sauce. You can use it in:
Have I made you hungry yet?!
Finally, are you on Pinterest? Why not save this photo below to your boards so you can come back and try it another time!
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 garlic clove diced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1 400g tinned jackfruit drained
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C
- Roughly dice the red onion and garlic adding both to a pan on a medium heat with a tbsp oil (optional) and fry for a couple minutes
- Now to the pan add the 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp ground coriander, 2 tbsp tomato puree, 2 tbsp maple syrup, ¼ cup tamari, drained jackfruit and mix
- With a fork press down the jackfruit until it falls apart, mix into the sauce until well covered and fry for a couple minutes
- Add the pan (if not oven proof pan transfer to a baking tray) and bake for 15 minutes
- Finally add your jackfruit to the flatbread along with the Tzatziki and any fresh salad you wish and serve