Introducing this simple 2 ingredient Homemade Sweet Potato Gnocchi.
Yes… you can make your own gnocchi at home with just 2 ingredients you’ll most likely have in the cupboards.
And it’s gluten-free, vegan and simple to make. What’s more to love?!
You can also freeze this for another day (more instructions on that in the blog below).
HERE’S WHAT YOU’RE GOING TO LOVE ABOUT THIS SWEET POTATO GNOCCHI:
- 2 ingredients
- Freeze for another day
- Vegan & Gluten-Free
Using these 2 ingredients you’ll probably have in the cupboard!
Don’t let the time in this recipe mislead you.
Most of that time is for roasting the sweet potato ready to make this delicious homemade gluten-free gnocchi.
Here’s the simple 6 step process before shaping your sweet potato gnocchi.
There’s no need to be precise with getting the perfect shape, size or faffing around with the fork method to make ridges.
We’re all about quick recipes with as little hassle as possible here!
How to freeze:
Incase you want to batch cook this or you’re only making it for 2 then here’s how to freeze it down for another day.
I personally prefer to freeze my gnocchi after boiling it.
Allow the gnocchi to dry and cool before adding to a sealed Tupperware box and place in the freezer.
Allow to thaw completely and then pan fry (as shown below) before mixing into sauce.
SO IF YOU TRY MAKING THIS HOMEMADE SWEET POTATO GNOCCHI LET ME KNOW!
Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames using #healthylivingjames . I absolutely love seeing and sharing your recreations!
Once you have boiled your sweet potato gnocchi it’s ready to mix into your pasta sauce.
Or if you want to make it a little crunchy which is my favourite!!
Lightly fry them in a pan with olive oil before adding your sauce, but this is totally optional.
So you might be wondering what sauce I mix with mine.
It works really well with this homemade pasta sauce using 5 store cupboard ingredients.
- Red onion
- Herbs (I like parsley)
- Tinned tomatoes
Simply add these 5 ingredients to a pan and simmer until it thickens, that’s it!!
But if you want a spicy pasta sauce then try my Warming Pasta Sauce recipe, it’s so tasty with this sweet gnocchi.
Homemade Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- 2 Sweet Potatoes (680-700g)
- 180g gluten-free white flour + more for dusting (Roughly 1 ½ cups)
- Pinch Salt (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C
- Prick your 2 sweet potatoes with a fork and place in a baking dish. Place in the oven at 180C for 60 minutes (turn after 30 minutes). You can microwave each potato for 8 minutes if you prefer
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and carefully peel off the skin and place the inside flesh into a bowl and mash with a fork
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes
- Slowly add in the 180g flour and gently kneed with your hands
- Transfer the dough to a floured worktop and form a ball (you may need extra flour!)
- Cut into 4 parts, hand pressing each part into a flatbread shape (½ inch thick). Cut into small pieces and roll with your hands into gnocchi shapes (follow the photo above in the blog post)
- Now place into a large pot with salted boiling water, don't add them all at once (give them space to boil) and boil until they start to float off the bottom (or 2-3 minutes)
- Once boiled remove from the pot and place into a bowl lined with kitchen roll, this helps to absorb any leftover liquid
- Finally you can either fry them in a pan with olive oil to make them crispy or just add directly into your pasta sauce!