Introducing this simple 2 ingredient Homemade Sweet Potato Gnocchi. Yes… you can make your own gnocchi with just 2 ingredients you’ll most likely have in the cupboards at home! Not only are these gnocchi gluten-free, vegan and simple to make, they taste delicious and I can guarantee you’ll be making them time and time again!
Recipe Difficulty – Very Easy
Why this recipe works
Whether your looking for a quick and simple mid-week dinner recipe, or simply bored of your meals on a current weekly rotation, I’ve got you covered. These hassle-free, super simple to make, home-made gnocchi’s are going to transform your meal tonight!
I really enjoy working with gnocchi, which is why I was inspired to create this recipe. Gnocchi is super quick and easy to use and works well in most recipes. My Sausage Pesto Gnocchi was so popular, as was my Sausage and Sage Gnocchi recipe, I thought ‘Why not give it a go myself?’… and they turned out to be next level! Trust me, you’re going to love them.
Ingredients to make Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- Sweet Potato – I love the flavour that sweet potato adds! It is mild and sweet yet starchy enough to work as substitute for the standard white potatoes that are normally used when making gnocchi. If you have any spare then make my Sweet Potato Fries or Sweet Potato Brownies.
- Flour – this helps bind the sweet potato together and stops it from sticking. I’ve used gluten free white flour, but if you aren’t gluten free, then standard plain white flour would also work well.
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Sweet Potato – I’ve used Sweet Potato in this recipe as I love the sweetness and nutrients it brings. However, you could use standard white potato instead (this is usually how gnocchi is made)
- Flour – I’ve used gluten free white flour as I am gluten free. However, if you aren’t gluten free, you could use standard plain white flour and this would work exactly the same
- Kid-friendly – most children tend to love sweet potato so this is a great family recipe! However if the bright orange colour puts your child off, feel free to make this recipe using standard white potatoes instead. You could serve this gnocchi with the sauce from my Vegan Mushroom Pasta.
- Spicy – These Homemade Sweet Potato Gnocchi are mild and sweet. I’ve included a really tasty gnocchi sauce below that pairs so well with the sweet potato. If you wanted to up the heat, add some chilli flakes or freshly chopped chillies to the recipe below.
- Deluxe – To take these homemade gnocchi’s to the next level, you could pair them with the easiest and tastiest gnocchi sauce (recipe below) and serve them with my Creamy Courgetti Salad, trust me you won’t look back!
Step 1: Firstly, pre-heat your oven to 180C / 360F. Prick 2 sweet potatoes with a fork and place in a baking dish. Place in the oven for 60 minutes (turn after 30 minutes).
Hint: Alternatively, you can microwave each potato for 8 minutes if you prefer. Once cooked, remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and carefully peel off the skin.
Step 2: Then add the sweet potato flesh to a large mixing bowl and mash with the back of a fork. Once mashed, allow to cool for approximately 10 minutes
Step 3: Then, slowly add in the flour and gently kneed with your hands until a dough has formed
Step 4: Once formed, transfer the dough to a floured worktop and form a ball.
Hint: you may need extra flour!
Step 5: Cut the dough into 4 parts, hand pressing each part into a flatbread shape.
Hint: The parts should be about ½ inch thick
Step 6: Then cut into small pieces as seen in the photo below
Step 7: Finally, roll with your hands into gnocchi shapes. Now place into a large pot with salted boiling water and boil the Sweet Potato Gnocchi until they start to float off the bottom (roughly 2-3 minutes)
Hint: don’t add them all at once, give them space to boil.
Once boiled remove from the pot and place into a bowl lined with kitchen roll, this helps to absorb any leftover liquid
Homemade Tomato Gnocchi Sauce
I have also made this great sauce which works really well with the Homemade Sweet Potato Gnocchi. All you need is garlic, red onion, mushroom, herbs (I like parsley) and a can of tinned tomatoes. Lightly fry all of the ingredients in a pan with olive oil and simmer until it thickens. Once at your desired consistency, add your Gnocchi…. it really is that simple!
If you want a spicy pasta sauce to try with the Sweet Potato Gnocchi, then try my Warming Pasta Sauce recipe, it’s so tasty with this sweet potato gnocchi, plus it can be made in under 10 minutes!
If you’d prefer a no spice sauce then try it with my delicious Creamy Vegan Pepper Sauce.
These Homemade Gnocchis are perfect for batch cooking as they freeze really well. I personally prefer to freeze my gnocchi after boiling. Allow the gnocchi to dry and cool before adding to an air tight container and place in the freezer. Allow to thaw completely and then pan fry before mixing into sauce.
Yes, this recipe would also work with white potato. As white potato isn’t as “wet” you may need less flour.
Absolutely, I personally prefer to freeze my gnocchi after boiling it. Allow the gnocchi to dry and cool before adding to an air tight container and place in the freezer. Allow to thaw completely and then pan fry before mixing into sauce.
These Homemade Sweet Potato Gnocchi are simply delicious, however if you wanted to take them to the next level, I’ve added a great Homemade Gnocchi Sauce recipe above, which compliments them really well.
You might also like…
Tried this Homemade Sweet Potato Gnocchi recipe? Please leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and let me know how you get on. Hearing positive feedback is one of the best parts of creating recipes so please review it below and leave a comment!
P.S Never miss a new recipe! Get more healthy recipes sent straight to your inbox weekly – Subscribe and receive a free recipe eBook!
Homemade Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- roasting tin
- large mixing bowl
- large saucepan
- kitchen roll
- Chopping Board (if making Homemade Gnocchi Sauce)
- large non stick frying pan (if making Homemade Gnocchi Sauce)
- 2 Sweet Potatoes (680-700g)
- 180g gluten-free white flour + more for dusting (Roughly 1 ½ cups)
- Pinch Salt (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C
- Prick your 2 sweet potatoes with a fork and place in a baking dish. Place in the oven at 180C for 60 minutes (turn after 30 minutes). You can microwave each potato for 8 minutes if you prefer
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and carefully peel off the skin and place the inside flesh into a bowl and mash with a fork
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes
- Slowly add in the 180g flour and gently kneed with your hands
- Transfer the dough to a floured worktop and form a ball (you may need extra flour!)
- Cut into 4 parts, hand pressing each part into a flatbread shape (½ inch thick). Cut into small pieces and roll with your hands into gnocchi shapes (follow the photo above in the blog post)
- Now place into a large pot with salted boiling water, don't add them all at once (give them space to boil) and boil until they start to float off the bottom (or 2-3 minutes)
- Once boiled remove from the pot and place into a bowl lined with kitchen roll, this helps to absorb any leftover liquid
- Finally you can either fry them in a pan with olive oil to make them crispy or just add directly into your pasta sauce!
Please note that Nutrition information is a rough estimate