I absolutely love using butternut squash and coconut together so I thought why not try making a dhal. It’s such a cheap and delicious batch cooking comfort food, perfect for a cold or rainy day, which seems to be happening a lot at the moment! This recipe comes out at roughly £1.50-£2.00 per portion!!!
This dhal is so simple to make and tastes absolutely amazing. I love to save some for lunch the next day or freeze it down for quick healthy meal without having to cook.
Prep: 5 mins
Cooking: 35 mins
- 1/2 large butternut squash or roughly 500g (peeled and chopped weight)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 small garlic cloves crushed
- 1 medium size red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- pinch of chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 red chilli deseeded and finely chopped (if you enjoy it hotter than add the whole chilli)
- Fresh Lime
- 1 cup red split lentils (180g)
- 1 1/2 cans coconut milk
- 250ml veg stock (I use Marigold)
- Salt & Pepper
- Peel and chop the butternut squash into small cubes along with dicing the red onion
- Heat a large pot on a medium heat with the coconut oil and add the crushed garlic, cook until the garlic is sizzling
- Add the red onion with a pinch of salt & pepper and cook for a couple minutes
- Add all the spices and fresh chopped chilli along with the juice of 1/2 a lime and mix thoroughly
- Now add the chopped butternut squash with a pinch of salt & pepper and fry for a couple minutes making sure to stir.
- Add in the coconut milk, stock and lentils making sure to mix thoroughly
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir every 5-10 minutes
- It is now ready to serve, I often have mine with a side of brown rice
Tip: Finish off with a squeeze of lime juice, fresh coriander, fresh chilli and some coconut flakes!
Creating this dish? Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames Facebook @healthylivingjames or Twitter @healthylivingJW so I can see what you create! Want to save it for later then pin it on Pinterest @healthylivingJW .