Chilli is the perfect autumn/winter comfort food. This black bean version is incredibly simple to make and only costs around £5 (non organic) for 4-6 portions and roughly £7 if you’re going organic.
It is also gluten free and vegan.
Give it a go, I would love to hear what you think!
You can also watch my recipe video on this chilli here
Prep: 5 mins
Cooking: 20 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 680g passata (good quality)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp cacao powder (optional)
- 200ml veg stock (good quality)
- Start by grating the carrot, dicing the red onion and fresh chilli
- Heat a large pan on a medium heat adding the olive oil and garlic until sizzling
- Add the onion and all the spices along with a pinch of salt and pepper and stir
- Now add the carrots and chopped chilli and cook down for 2-3 minutes until soft
- Add the passata, tomato puree, beans, cacao powder and stock and stir
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low/medium heat to cook for 15 minutes (making sure to stir every 5 minutes)
Tip: I like to serve mine on brown rice or inside a roasted sweet potato and top it with plain coconut yoghurt, extra chillies and fresh coriander.
Tip: The chilli mix will freeze well, I just allow it to cool once cooked and portion it out ready for freezing!
Creating this chilli? Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames Facebook @healthylivingjames or Twitter @healthylivingJW so I can see what you create! Want to save it for later then pin it on Pinterest @healthylivingJW