Introducing my gluten free & vegan Tofu Katsu Curry!
Full of colour, flavour and crunchy tofu this homemade plant-based Katsu Curry is going to rock your world.
It’s really simple to make, healthy and super tasty.
Best of all this will feed 4 people for roughly £2.50pp so a lot cheaper than going out!
You’re going to absolutely love this Tofu Katsu Curry as it’s:
- Ready in 25 mins
- Roughly £2.50pp
- Gluten free & Vegan
Using these simple ingredients you can buy from most supermarkets:
Firstly if you struggle to find gluten free breadcrumbs it’s quite simple to make your own. Blend up a piece of gluten free bread into small crumbs and freeze. Remove from the freezer and use as instructed below in the recipe section.
As this is a vegan Katsu curry I have opted to use Tofu as the main source of protein but this recipe will work just fine with chicken if you wish.
It’s really easy to cover the tofu ready for frying. Simply slice the tofu into “steaks” and then dipping into plant-based milk followed by the gluten free breadcrumbs.
The homemade Katsu sauce is incredibly easy to make by simply adding all the ingredients into a pot and simmering until it thickens whilst you get on with preparing and frying the tofu.
Finally it creates this wonderfully colourful and flavour packed sauce that perfectly accompanies the crispy gluten free tofu.
IF YOU TRY THIS Tofu Katsu Curry let me know!
Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames using #healthylivingjames . I absolutely love seeing and sharing your recreations!
On Pinterest? Why not save this photo below or any of your favourite photos to your boards so you can come back and try it at another time!
Tofu Katsu Curry
- 400 g firm tofu pressed
- olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 large carrot finely diced
- 1 red onion finely diced
- thumb size piece of ginger finely diced
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour ( I used corn flour)
- 1 juice of lime
- 500 ml veg stock
- vegan milk (I used almond)
- handful gluten free breadcrumbs (I bought mine but you can make your own)
- Firstly press your tofu to drain out any excess water (5-10 minutes)
- Meanwhile to a pot add olive oil, garlic, carrot, onion, ginger and fry together for a few minutes
- Now add in the spices, lime juice, flour and veg stock and stir. Reduce to a low heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until it starts to thicken making sure to stir every 5 minutes
- Once the tofu has drained slice into "steaks" aim for 8 slices. In one bowl add your vegan milk and in another bowl add gluten free breadcrumbs
- Dip the tofu steaks into the milk and then into the breadcrumb bowl making sure to push the breadcrumbs firmly into the tofu
- Heat a frying pan with a generous amount of olive oil and fry the tofu on either side for a couple minutes until golden brown and crispy
- Finally the Katsu sauce should be ready, you can either strain it through and sieve for it to be smooth or just have it slightly chunky (whichever you prefer)
- Serve it up in a bowl with rice and salad leaves
Fancy a faster curry? Then try my 10 Minute Curry