These Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes are Made in the air fryer in only 30 minutes, these easy to make smashed potatoes are going to take your meals to the next level. Made using just 3 ingredients, you’ll already have in your cupboards, these gluten free and vegan air fryer potatoes are honestly incredible, you have to try them!
Recipe Difficulty – Very Easy!
Why this recipe works
These Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes are a little twist on traditional “roast potatoes”. We’re keeping the skin on to reduce waste and also speed up the recipe as we don’t need to boil the potatoes before air frying. The skin also goes lovely and crispy!
I love potatoes, they’re incredibly versatile to use! Plus they’re currently in season in the UK, which is always good to know as it means they’re often even cheaper in the supermarkets. There is something warming and comforting about adding potatoes to a meal, especially during the colder months and even more so if they’re air fried, smashed and drizzled with olive oil and salt! Also make sure to give my Homemade Air Fryer Chips a try!
I was inspired to create this recipe as my Rosemary Roast Potatoes were so popular over the Christmas period. Plus, since buying an air fryer I have been absolutely loving the time it saves when cooking certain things such as potatoes. I also made the best Air Fryer Roast Potatoes that you must try!
Fear not, if you don’t have an air fryer, you can still follow and make this recipe, however it will just take a little longer in the oven.
Ingredients to make air fryer smashed potatoes
- Potatoes – who doesn’t love potatoes?! They’re cheap, versatile and available pretty much anywhere!
- Olive Oil – using olive oil really helps to crisp us the new potatoes in the air fryer.
- Salt – I’ve used pink Himalayan salt as we had some at home, however standard sea salt would also be perfect to use.
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Olive Oil – I’ve used olive oil as it can withstand high temperatures. However, an alternative oil could be used such as vegetable oil.
- Salt – as you can see I’ve used pink Himalayan salt as we had this at home at the time. However, standard sea salt would also work perfectly well.
- Potatoes – Baby potatoes works best for this but if you have any sweet potatoes in the cupboard then try my Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries.
- Spicy – these potatoes are not spicy. However, you could sprinkle some chilli powder in with the olive oil and salt to coat the potatoes if you wanted to add some heat.
- Deluxe – These potatoes are already at the top of their league. The only way they could be improved once cooked is if you were to top with a large knob of butter, a further sprinkle of salt and some freshly chopped parsley. If you had dinner guests, you could load these potatoes onto a plate and top with a Comforting Black Bean Chilli, a dollop of coconut yoghurt and some freshly chopped coriander and chillis. Or dipped into my Homemade Vegan Tzatziki or Hummus.
- Kid friendly – this is a great recipe to make with children as they’ll enjoy the smashing process. Equally, most children love potatoes so it’s a win win. If you are cooking with children, then definitely check out my Vegan Mushroom Pasta or my 3 Ingredient Oat Cookies – they’re great recipes to get the children involved in.
How to make air fryer smashed potatoes
Step 1: Firstly, place the potatoes in the air fryer tray and bake at 185C / 365F for 20 minutes.
Step 2: After 20 minutes, use the bottom of a jar or water glass to smash the potatoes by gently applying pressure until they burst.
Step 3: Finally, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pop back into the air fryer on setting ‘air fry’ at 205C / 400F for a further 10 minutes to make them nice and crispy.
This is a great recipe if you make too many and have leftovers. It’s even perfect if you wanted to meal prep ahead for the week and re-heat on the night. Simply pop the smashed potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. These can either be eaten cold or for an extra crisp pop them back in the air fryer or oven until piping hot.
No, you can go ahead and pop them straight into the air fryer tray or baking tray.
It is much quicker to cook the potatoes in the air fryer. It would require almost double the time to cook in the oven.
No, we are using new potatoes in this recipe so no need to pierce them before they go in the air fryer.
No, there is no need. You can pop them straight from the packet into the air fryer or baking tray.
You could always use the back of a fork!
Fear not, you can always make these smashed new potatoes in the oven. Simply pop in the oven for 40 minutes at 220C / 430F to begin with. Then smash the potatoes, drizzle with olive oil and salt and then put back in the oven for a further 20 minutes.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Tried this Air Fryer Roast Potatoes recipe? Please leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and let me know how you get on. Hearing positive feedback is one of the best parts of creating recipes so please review it below and leave a comment!
P.S Never miss a new recipe! Get more healthy recipes sent straight to your inbox weekly – Subscribe and receive a free recipe eBook!
Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer (or baking tray)
- Jar / water glass / fork
- 1 kg new potatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 generous pinch salt
- Firstly, place the potatoes in the air fryer tray and bake at 185C / 365F for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes, use the bottom of a jar or water glass to smash the potatoes by gently applying pressure until they burst
- Finally, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pop back into the air fryer on setting 'air fry' at 205C / 400F for a further 10 minutes to make them nice and crispy
Please note that Nutrition information is a rough estimate