These Healthy Energy Balls are a fabulous snack to make ahead and have ready to go and at a fraction of the cost of store bought! They are very nutritious, super easy to make and mega tasty! Plus, they are gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free.
Recipe Difficulty – Very Easy
Why this recipe works
These ginger and turmeric balls are so simple to make, mega tasty and very nutritious. The sweetness from the dates works perfectly with the small kick from the spices!
Turmeric has been hot on the health press for a while now boasting many health benefits. The health benefits actually come from curcumin which is the main active ingredient in turmeric. Curcumin is antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and helps to prevent cancer.
Ginger has great anti inflammatory properties called gingerols along with creating a soothing effect on the stomach. With both of these ingredients in these energy balls with dates, they become real power balls!
These energy balls with dates are naturally gluten free, vegan & refined sugar free. The perfect healthy snack to have on the go!
Ingredients to make Healthy Energy Balls
- Almonds – add a great taste, texture, as well as fiber and protein.
- Walnuts – serve the same purpose as almonds with a slightly different flavour profile.
- Dates – are the sweetener and should be pitted before blending.
- Ground Ginger – is great for soothing the stomach and is an anti-inflammatory.
- Ground Turmeric – has sundry health benefits and adds a great flavour.
- Water – helps to hold all of the ingredients together.
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Almonds and Walnuts – Feel free to use just one or the other. You can also try other nuts like cashews or pistachios. If you want your bliss balls to be nut-free, add some oats and seeds instead.
- Dates – Cranberry, dried apricots, or golden raisins would be great fruit sweeteners. Lemon doesn’t sweeten, but would add a nice flavour. Maple syrup, honey, or agave syrup would also be great sweeteners.
- Deluxe – Try adding some raisins, cranberries, or dried apricots to these gluten free energy balls to add a little more flavour. Consider rolling in desiccated coconut for a perfect finish.
- Kid friendly – If your kids aren’t a fan of the taste, increase the dates a bit and cut back on the turmeric and ginger. They may also enjoy chocolate balls – add a chocolate chip to their date balls.
See this Chocolate Coconut Balls dessert version of this recipe on my website!
How to make Healthy Energy Balls
Step 1: Put all of the ingredients except for the water into a food processor and blend into crumbs.
Step 2: Add the water and blend again for 10-15 seconds until the mix is sticky.
Step 3: Roll into balls and enjoy!
Hint: You can put some water on your hands to help with sticking.
Energy bites will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for a couple of months.
It’s all about what you put in them! I use a combination of nuts, spices, and dates. My immune boosting protein balls are gluten free, vegan, and refined sugar free – incredibly healthy and high protein!
There are some energy balls that may need to be cooked, but my no bake energy balls do not! They are ready in minutes. Simply blend the ingredients, roll into balls, and enjoy!
Energy balls are a delicious treat any time of the day! They’re especially great to grab when you’re on the run and need quick and easy protein bites. They are also excellent right before the gym.
There are so many! And it totally depends on the ingredients of said energy balls. Chocolate energy balls or even Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls will have a different set of benefits compared to my Turmeric and Ginger Energy Balls. The almond and walnut bring some protein and fiber. Turmeric’s benefits include being an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial. The ginger is also anti-inflammatory.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Tried this Healthy Energy Balls recipe? Please leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and let me know how you get on. Hearing positive feedback is one of the best parts of creating recipes so please review it below and leave a comment!
P.S Never miss a new recipe! Get more healthy recipes sent straight to your inbox weekly – Subscribe and receive a free recipe eBook!
Healthy Energy Balls
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 6 medium dates pitted
- 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place the almonds, walnuts, pitted dates, ginger and turmeric into the processor and blend into crumbs.
- Add the water and blend again for 10-15 seconds, this will make the mix sticky.
- Finally roll into balls and they are ready to eat.
Please note that Nutrition information is a rough estimate