Introducing this delicious Cod Curry! This tasty fish curry is ready to eat in just 30 minutes with only 10 minutes of prep. Made in one pot, it serves 4 for under £10.
Recipe Difficulty – Very Easy
Why this recipe works
This coconut cod curry is great at any time of the year! Tender chunks of cod and cauliflower florets in a mildly spiced curry sauce – what’s not to love? You’ll feel like you’re at a fine dining establishment. It’s the perfect alternative to a take-away or going out to eat.
Serve this healthy white fish curry with your favourite rice, my easy Gluten-Free Naan Bread, or quinoa. It is easy, comforting, adaptable, and perfectly spiced. On top of that, it’s gluten and dairy free! Despite it being dairy-free, this fish curry with coconut milk has a rich and creamy texture, making it extremely comforting.
This coconut cod cauliflower curry is packed with flavour from the aromatic ginger and garlic and the blend of spices. All things you’re likely to find in your pantry or are easily acquired at the grocery store. It is delicious and filling and sure to become a new favourite!
Ingredients to make Cod Curry
- Red Onion – needs to be diced prior to starting.
- Garlic Cloves – should be crushed and add a delicious flavour to this dish.
- Fresh Ginger – needs to be chopped prior to beginning.
- Paprika – adds both a sweet and peppery taste to this curry.
- Ground Coriander – is a great sweet and citrusy flavour.
- Turmeric – is common in curry powders. It’s a key ingredient in my Coconut Dhal.
- Fennel Seeds – are known for their liquorice flavour that goes really well with curry spices.
- Cayenne Pepper – adds a bit of heat to this coconut fish curry.
- Chilli Flakes – also add some spice.
- Olive Oil – is used to fry up the onions.
- Cauliflower – is a great, healthy addition to this curry.
- Lime Juice – adds a splash of citrus.
- Can of Coconut Milk – is my secret to a creamy dairy-free fish curry. If you have any cans spare then try my Coconut Dhal.
- Can of Chopped Tomatoes – are a great addition to this curry. If you have any spare tins in the cupboard then also try my Vegetable Tagine.
- Water – helps this to reach the perfect consistency.
- Peanut Butter – can be either smooth or crunchy. If you’re like me and have a massive tub then try my Peanut Butter Blondies.
- Cod – is the hero ingredient of this recipe.
- Handful of Spinach – this is an optional addition to this recipe.
- Salt and Pepper – help to accentuate the other flavours.
- Lime Wedges – are optional for serving.
- Chopped Fresh Coriander – is an optional serving addition.
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Cauliflower – can be replaced with broccoli.
- Chopped Tomatoes – For a smoother sauce, use passata instead.
- Peanut Butter – If you have a nut allergy, feel free to leave the peanut butter out.
- Cod – You could use haddock, salmon, or prawns in place of cod.
- Vegan – If you wanted a full vegan dish, sub for tofu or just use the cauliflower. You could also add some more butternut squash or jackfruit.
- Spicy – There are lots of ways to spice up this curry! It starts mild, so it is easy to increase the spice level. Try doubling or tripling the spices that are already called for. You could also add cumin seeds, jalapeno, garam masala, cumin, and/or chilli.
- Deluxe – I like to serve the cod tomato curry sprinkled with chopped fresh coriander and lime wedges to squeeze over for an extra zingy flavour!
- Kid friendly – If the kids aren’t a fan of fish, swap for their favourite meat or leave it vegetarian. If there are certain vegetables they like, add them in! You could add green pepper, peas, fresh tomatoes, etc.
For another delicious curry, see this 15 Minute Vegetable Curry recipe on my website!
How to make Cod Curry
Step 1: Firstly, prep your red onion, garlic, and ginger. Add them, along with the spices, into a pan with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook for five minutes.
Step 2: While it’s cooking, prepare your cauliflower by chopping it into bite-sized florets.
Step 3: Add the lime juice, coconut milk, chopped tomatoes, water (measured in the tomato tin), and peanut butter to the pan.
Add the cauliflower florets, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Step 4: Cube the cod and add it to the curry along with the spinach. Cover with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes.
Serve with lime wedges and chopped coriander. Enjoy it alone or with rice, naan bread, or quinoa.
Hint: Be sure the cod reaches about 62 degrees C before serving.
If you have any fish curry leftover, set it aside to cool and then pop it into an airtight lidded container. Store in the fridge for a couple of days. Reheat thoroughly to serve. Freeze in an airtight container for up to three months. Thaw before reheating.
White fish are great for curry. My personal favourite is cod.
It depends on the recipe! My recipe focuses on plant-based ingredients, so it is a great healthy option to add to your meal rotation.
White rice, brown rice, or black rice are all delicious with curry. You could also use quinoa. My favourite thing to have alongside curry is some Gluten Free Naan Bread!
Cod cooks quite quickly! I add it as the last step of my recipe. It only needs to simmer in the curry for about 5 minutes or so before it’s ready to go!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Tried this Cod Curry recipe? Please leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and let me know how you get on. Hearing positive feedback is one of the best parts of creating recipes so please review it below and leave a comment!
P.S Never miss a new recipe! Get more healthy recipes sent straight to your inbox weekly – Subscribe and receive a free recipe eBook!
- 1 red onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 thumb fresh ginger chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cauliflower, chopped into florets
- juice of 1 lime
- 400ml can of coconut milk
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- ¼ can water
- 1 heaped tbsp peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
- 250 g cod, cubed
- handful of spinach (optional)
- salt and pepper
- lime wedges and chopped fresh coriander, to serve (optional)
- Firstly prepare your red onion, garlic and ginger. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and all the spices to a pan with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes
- Meanwhile prepare your cauliflower by chopping it into bite-sized florets. Now add the juice of 1 lime, 1 can coconut milk, 1 can chopped tomatoes, ¼ cup of water (use the tomato tin to measure it out) 1 heaped tablespoon peanut butter and stir
- Now add your cauliflower florets, season with salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes
- Chop your cod into cubes and add to the curry along with spinach, if using, cover with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes
- Serve with lime wedges and chopped coriander, if liked, and with rice, naan breads or quinoa or enjoy on its own!
Please note that Nutrition information is a rough estimate