If you have been searching for easy recipes for Homemade Nutella, look no further! This healthy vegan and gluten free nutella recipe is super easy, incredibly delicious, and healthier than what you’ll find in stores!
Recipe Difficulty – Very Easy
Why this recipe works
I have been craving chocolate spread recently, so I went to the supermarket to look at some of the options available. I was very shocked with the ingredients which are used – most containing sugar, palm oil and milk.
This made me want to make my own healthy vegan recipe for a Nutella alternative to share with you all.
Ingredients to make Homemade Nutella
- Hazelnuts – are the star ingredient in this hazelnut spread.
- Raw Cacao Powder – Cacao is the raw unprocessed version of cacoa.
- Maple Syrup – is a great natural sweetener.
- Coconut Oil – will need to be melted before using.
- Salt – balances out the flavours.
- Cold Water – helps to thin out the chocolate hazelnut spread.
See recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Raw Cacao Powder – If you use cocoa powder instead, just note that it will be sweeter and more processed.
- Maple Syrup – Runny Honey or agave are other great natural sweeteners.
- Deluxe – Nutella really doesn’t stand to be changed much, so it’s all about what you serve it on! It would be delicious in a stuffed French Toast, for instance or for topping Gluten Free Fluffy Pancakes!
- Kid friendly – introduce this to your kids as an ice cream topper! It would be great at an ice cream bar for a birthday party. Have it in a lineup along with strawberry sauce, chopped banana, coconut, peanut butter sauce, etc. Or even try stuffing it inside my child friendly Oat Pancakes before frying.
See this Mixed Berry Chia Jam version of this recipe on my website!
How to make Homemade Nutella
Step 1: Firstly, bake the hazelnuts on a baking tray for 10 minutes at 180 C. Give the hazelnuts 5-10 minutes to cool down.
Step 2: Blend the hazelnuts in a food processor or blender for 3-5 minutes until they become tiny crumbs.
Step 3: Add the rest of the ingredients with the exception of the water and blend for another 30 seconds. Slowly add the water as you continue to blend until it reaches the consistency you want.
Hint: The finer you can blend the hazelnuts, the better.
Store leftover Nutella in an airtight container or jar for 5-7 days in the fridge. Freezing this recipe will change the texture.
Nutella is made from hazelnuts, which grow on the Hazelnut tree. They are combined with cacao or cocoa powder to make a delicious hazelnut chocolate cream.
There are so many ways! It is great as a spread on a crepe, pancake, or piece of bread. You can use your homemade hazelnut cream to make a Nutella pie or cookie as well.
Of course! If you’re wondering how to make Nutella at home, you will be pleasantly surprised with how easy it is! Simply cook hazelnuts and blend them up with cacao, syrup, coconut oil, salt, and water for this yummy chocolate hazelnut butter.
While regular Nutella may last longer on the counter, this vegan Nutella will only last a few days. I recommend refrigerating it so it lasts longer, but if you’re expecting to use it quickly, feel free to leave it out so it stays at a creamy consistency.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE…
Tried this Homemade Nutella recipe? Please leave a star rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below and let me know how you get on. Hearing positive feedback is one of the best parts of creating recipes so please review it below and leave a comment!
P.S Never miss a new recipe! Get more healthy recipes sent straight to your inbox weekly – Subscribe and receive a free recipe eBook!
- 200 g hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoon cacao powder
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- pinch salt
- ½ cup cold water
- Firstly place the hazelnuts on a baking tray and place in the oven at 180C for 10 mins. Allow the hazelnuts to cool down for 5-10 minutes.
- Now add the hazelnuts to a food processor/blender and blend into tiny crumbs (the finer the better). I usually let mine blend for a 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cacao, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, salt and blend for around 30 seconds. Finally add the water slowly whilst blending. This will help to make it thinner and more spreadable.
Please note that Nutrition information is a rough estimate