This Creamy Vegan Mushroom & Sage Risotto is extremely simple to make with very few ingredients and the perfect comforting dinner night in or to share with family/friends for a dinner party.
It is absolutely packed full of flavour and I think it will really impress anyone that can have a “normal” risotto with dairy!
Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Prep: 5 mins
Cooking: 30 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 140g frozen peas (roughly 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp dried sage
- 1 litre veg stock
- Coconut fat (use all the thick cream at the top of coconut milk can)
- 350g risotto rice (I use Arborio)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Prep the red onion and crushed garlic
- Heat a pan on a medium heat, add the olive oil, garlic, red onion and a pinch of pepper and fry for a minute or two
- Meanwhile roughly chop the mushrooms and prepare the stock
- Add the mushrooms and frozen peas to the pan along with the dried sage and cook down for a couple minutes until the mushrooms have softened
- Now add the veg stock, coconut fat and rice and stir until combined
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer placing the lid on the pan for 25 mins making sure to stir every 10 mins
- Finally for an optional extra try stirring through 2 tbsp nutritional yeast at the end before serving for a cheesy taste!
TIP: You could always stir through spinach or even roasted butternut squash cubes if you wanted to add more colour and flavours.
Looking for another comforting dinner, then try my Black Bean Chilli
Creating this mushroom risotto? Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames Facebook @healthylivingjames or Twitter @healthylivingJW so I can see what you create! Want to save it for later then pin it on Pinterest @healthylivingJW