Introducing this incredibly simple, yet delicious Easy Peasy Paella.
You’ll love my one-pot vegan version of this classic Spanish dish!
Creamy golden rice, flavoured with mild spices and packed with vegetables – what’s not to like?!
HERE’S WHAT YOU’RE GOING TO LOVE ABOUT THIS EASY PEASY PAELLA
Vegan and gluten-free
Saffron, paprika and cayenne give this delicious vegan and gluten-free paella a deliciously mildly spiced flavour.
Swap the frozen peas for frozen green beans
Use chopped plum tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes
Add 1 tsp ground turmeric as an alternative to saffron threads
Also this simple one-pot recipe takes very little effort but is really big on flavour.
Surprisingly the method is really easy – first fry the onion and garlic and then stir in all the vegetables, spices and the lemon juice.
Finally add the rice, then gradually stir in the vegetable stock, until it is fully absorbed.
SO IF YOU TRY THIS PAELLA LET ME KNOW!
Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames using #healthylivingjames . I absolutely love seeing and sharing your recreations!
Subsequently for a delicious change, why not stir some cooked meat or fish into your paella?
Add a handful or two of cooked chicken, chopped chorizo or cooked prawns, towards the end of cooking. Stir well until heated through completely and piping hot.
For a final flavour hit, serve your paella with lemon wedges, for squeezing. Sprinkle over some chopped flat leaf parsley and enjoy!
Equally enjoy the paella hot, as a main course with a mixed green salad. But if you have any leftover, you can eat it cold for lunch or serve as a side dish with grilled salmon or chicken.
Easy Peasy Paella
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 150 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100 g artichokes (from a jar)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp saffron threads
- juice of 2 lemons plus lemon wedges, to serve
- 350 g paella or risotto rice
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- handful of chopped fresh flat leaf parsley, to serve (optional)
- Firstly, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large, shallow flameproof casserole dish or pan, over a medium heat
- Finely dice the red onion and add to the dish along with the 3 crushed garlic cloves and allow them to soften down for a few minutes
- Meanwhile, slice the pepper and halve the tomatoes
- Now to the dish add all the vegetables, the spices, saffron and the juice of 1 lemon. Fry together for 5 minutes or until the pepper softens and the peas defrost
- Next add the rice and 250ml veg stock and stir. Place the lid on and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the rice soaks up all the liquid
- Pour in another 250ml veg stock and cook until it has been absorbed, Repeat until all of the stock has been used up
- Add the juice of the remaining lemon, 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time, leave the lid off and allow to simmer until the rice is cooked
- Finally, serve garnished with fresh parsley along with lemon wedges, for squeezing