Since we are coming up to halloween this calls for pumpkin recipes. The other day I went pumpkin picking at a local farm in Dorset where I picked up two nice looking ones. Whilst in the field picking them I had a moment of inspiration and thought about doing a recipe series where I make a breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert recipes all containing pumpkin.
I left Luise in charge of the dessert and she came up with a nut based no bake spiced pumpkin cake that tastes so delicious.
You have to give this a try!
Portion: 8-10 slices
Prep: 15 mins (not allowing time to cool, roughly 2 1/2 hours)
Cooking:15 mins (for boiling the pumpkin)
Ingredients for base:
- 1 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1 1/3 cup almonds
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 8 pitted dates
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
Ingredients for topping:
- 750g pumpkin peeled and deseeded weight (roughly 1.1kg which is roughly 1/2 a medium sized pumpkin)
- 2 small bananas
- 1 medium avocado
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- teaspoon nutmeg
- tablespoon cinnamon
- Firstly peel and chop the pumpkin into small pieces and boil for 15 minutes until soft
- Now it’s time to make the base, add the walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, dates to the blender and blend into crumbs (roughly 2 minutes)
- Add the water and maple syrup and blend again until it’s sticky (roughly 1 minute)
- Move the base mixture to a 22cm tin and press into the tin to create a base making sure to go up the sides of the tin
- Once the pumpkin is ready just drain it and add to the blender. Add the bananas, avocado, maple syrup, nutmeg and cinnamon. Blend until smooth
- Empty the mix into a large bowl and allow to cool for 30 minutes (This helps the mix to thicken)
- Now add the mix on top of the base and evenly spread
- Place the cake into the fridge for 2 hours
Tip: Top the cake with extra cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin seeds and walnuts.
Fancy another pumpkin recipe? Try my Spiced Pumpkin Porridge
Creating this cake? Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames Facebook @healthylivingjames or Twitter @healthylivingJW so I can see what you create! Want to save it for later then pin it on Pinterest @healthylivingJW