Paella is one of my favourite all time dishes, especially over the summer period. This plant-based version is extremely simple to make and packs so much flavour with every bite! It’s such a crowd pleaser and perfect for a family dinner or if you’re cooking for friends.
It even tastes great cold for lunch the next day.
Give it a try and let me know what you think of it.
Prep: 5 mins
Cooking: 40-45 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 180g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 220g baby plum tomatoes (roughly 20), sliced into quarters. I use mixed coloured tomatoes to add different flavours
- 10 asparagus shoots, sliced
- 1 large red pepper, thinly sliced
- 250g frozen peas
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 3 lemons
- 750ml veg stock
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 400g brown basmati rice
- 1 tsp saffron
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh coriander
- Slice all the veg
- Heat a large pan on a medium heat with olive oil and crushed garlic
- Add all the veg, spices, juice of 1 lemon and a pinch of salt & pepper to the pan and allow to cook down for 5 minutes
- Now add the coconut milk, stock, rice, saffron and another pinch of salt and pepper and stir
- Bring to a boil and then reduced to a simmer for 30-35 minutes with the lid on making sure to stir every 10 minutes
- Add the juice of 1 lemon and simmer for a further 5 minutes (or until desired consistency)
- Serve with chopped fresh coriander and lemon wedges
Tip: You can add prawns, chicken or chorizo to this paella if you wish!
Creating this dish? Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames Facebook @healthylivingjames or Twitter @healthylivingJW so I can see what you create! Want to save it for later then pin it on Pinterest @healthylivingJW.