I would class this as the ultimate healthy vegan pizza. Packed full of good fats from the avocado, pine nuts and olive oil and topped with colourful and nutritious vegetables. The base is naturally gluten free due to using chickpea flour (AKA gram flour).
It may look like a lot to do but it’s actually very simple to create.
I also have another pizza recipe using this same chickpea base here!
Makes 2 pizza’s
Prep: 5 mins
Cooking: 20 mins
Ingredients for base:
- 200g chickpea flour (AKA gram flour)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 pinches of salt
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
Ingredients for the Avocado pesto:
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 50g pine nuts
- 1 large garlic clove chopped
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
I will list below the rough topping ingredients used for this pizza but you can always get creative and choose what you prefer!
Ingredients for the toppings:
- mixed plum tomatoes
- red pepper
- chestnut mushrooms
- chopped red chilli
- pinch of dried oregano
- chopped fresh basil to top after cooked
1.Pre heat the oven to 200C.
2. Now make the pizza batter, thoroughly mix the chickpea flour with water and salt and allow to rest for a minute to thicken slightly.
3. Meanwhile heat a large frying pan with a teaspoon of coconut oil. Once this is smoking hot pour a thin layer and evenly spread the batter across the pan (similar to a pancake). Fry each side until lightly browned which should roughly be a couple minutes each side (be careful when turning as it can break easily).
4. Place each base on a pizza baking tray and place in the oven for 5 minutes.
5. Add all the ingredients for the pesto into a blender/processor and leave it to blend for a couple minutes. I quite like still having some of the pine nuts whole to add a bit of crunch.
6. Meanwhile chop the tomatoes, red pepper, mushrooms ready to top the pizza with.
7. Once the pizza base is ready simply spread the pesto evenly over the base.
8. Now add the toppings making sure to leave the finely chopped fresh basil for the end.
9. Place in the oven for 12 minutes.
10. Finally top with finely chopped fresh basil and it’s ready to serve!
Tip: Try not to make the base too thick. This pizza base takes a couple times to perfect so stick with it.