Delicious and adaptable Jackfruit Puttanesca Pasta that is the perfect weekday dinner.
Jackfruit is a new ingredient that I have been trying recently. It’s a fruit that pulls apart to look very similar to pulled pork. As this recipe is very flexible if you don’t like the sound of jackfruit then you can always change this recipe to use chicken or prawns instead.
Prep: 5 mins
Cooking: 15-20 mins
- 1 can tinned jackfruit (this can be optional and the sauce works well without it)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 100g vine tomatoes, sliced into quarters
- 25g capers (roughly 2 tbsp), finely chopped
- 50g black pitted olives (roughly 20) slices into halves
- 1 heaped tsp miso paste
- 1 can tinned chopped tomatoes
- Fresh parsley
- Gluten free spaghetti (I use brown rice)
- Drain the jackfruit and place into a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes to allow it to soften
- Meanwhile prepare the onion, garlic, capers, olives and tomatoes
- Heat a pan on a medium heat with the crushed garlic, onion to cook down for a couple minutes
- Place the spaghetti into boiling water for roughly 8 minutes until el dente (we will be adding it to the sauce to finish off cooking)
- Now add the tomatoes, olives and capers to cook down for a couple minutes
- Now add the miso paste and the can of tomatoes and stir.
- Drain the jackfruit and add to the pan and press the chunks with a fork so they break apart and stir. Leave this to cook down for a further few minutes
- Finally with tongs take the spaghetti from the boiling water and place directly into the pan with the sauce along a small amount of the pasta water (roughly 3-4 tbsps) and a handful of freshly chopped parsley and stir thoroughly
- Allow this to simmer together for a further few minutes before serving
TIP: The jackfruit is completely optional in this recipe. You could use chicken or prawns instead if you prefer.
Love pasta? Check out my very popular “Warming Pasta” recipe
Creating this dish? Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames Facebook @healthylivingjames or Twitter @healthylivingJW so I can see what you create! Want to save it for later then pin it on Pinterest @healthylivingJW