I have teamed up with Bfree foods to bring you this gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free beet burger. It’s very simple to make and absolutely packed full of colour and flavour. There are so many health benefits of a burger like this due to it containing beetroot, adzuki beans and spices. You don’t get a healthier burger than this!
I can’t eat most gluten free bread on the market due to it containing egg. I think Bfree produce the best gluten, egg and sugar free bread out there.
Can’t wait to take these beet burgers down the beach this summer for a BBQ.
4 Burgers (I use 2 burgers in each bun)
Prep: 5-10 mins
Cooking: 17 mins (add more time if you are boiling your own beetroot)
- 110g drained chickpeas (roughly 1/2 a can)
- 95g adzuki beans (roughly 1/2 a can)
- 100-110g of boiled beetroot
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- garlic clove crushed
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour (aka gram flour)
- pinch of salt & pepper
- Burger bun (I use Bfree brown seeded rolls) which are gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free
- I boil my beetroot with the skin on for 35-45 minutes, once soft, peel the skin off under a cold running tap. Then slice into small cubes
- Pre heat the oven to 200C with an oven tray inside
- Add the chickpeas, adzuki beans and beetroot into a mixing bowl and mash ( I like to use the back of a fork)
- Once it is well mashed, add the smoked paprika, turmeric, garlic, maple syrup, chickpea flour and season with a large pinch of salt & pepper.
- Mash again thoroughly until its starting to stick together
- Now form a ball shape in your hands and press into a burger making sure its even and compact
- Heat a pan with a tablespoon of oil (I use coconut oil) until it’s smoking hot
- Add each burger to the pan and fry for roughly 1 minute each side until browning
- Now move from the pan into the pre heated oven tray and place in the oven for 15 minutes
Optional Extra Ingredients/Methods:
- Chargrill some slices of pineapple in a pan for a couple minutes each side
- Then add the sliced Bfree bun into the pan to lightly chargrill
- I layer the bun with two pieces of lettuce followed by my cashew mayo (I leave out the rosemary so that it is just a garlic mayo).
- I then place 2 of the burgers on top followed by the grilled pineapple.
Tip: Make sure you try the garlic cashew mayo, it works so well with this burger.
Creating this dish? Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames Facebook @healthylivingjames or Twitter @healthylivingJW so I can see what you create! Want to save it for later then pin it on Pinterest @healthylivingJW .