This banana & pistachio loaf is gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free. It is so tasty and works great as a dessert or even as a weekend treat. It’s fun but simple to make meaning if you have any kids they would love making it!
It only uses 10 ingredients and you can always swap the pistachio for other nuts or even fruit.
The 2 ingredient coconut icing adds such a great flavour to the loaf but if you wish to eat the loaf warm then just eat it straight out the oven without the icing.
It will last in the fridge for a couple days, that’s if you can make it last that long!!!
It is a very dense bread so just one slice is very satisfying and perfect for when entertaining family or friends.
Are you drooling yet?
Gluten Free Banana & Pistachio Loaf
- 1 flax egg mix 1 tbsp of chia seeds with 3 tbsp water, for 10 mins until a gel forms
- 260 g buckwheat flour (1 1/2 cups)
- 160 g coconut flour (1 1/2 cups)
- 4 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 50 g pistachios shelled (unsalted)
- coconut oil
- 1 400ml can coconut milk chilled in the fridge overnight you just want the fat from the top of the can
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- extra pistachios to top
- Pre heat the oven to 180C
- In a mixing bowl, make the chia egg by adding 1 tbsp of chia seeds with 3 tbsp water for 10 mins until a gel like substance forms
- Whilst the chia egg is forming, shell the pistachios if you haven’t managed to buy them this way. Crush them with a rolling pin until they are into halves
- Line a bread baking tin with baking paper greased with coconut oil
- In a bowl mash 4 ripe bananas with a fork until there are no lumps
- To the chia egg add the coconut flour, buckwheat flour, mashed bananas, cinnamon and maple syrup and mix with a spoon
- Now add the pistachios and mix in well with your hands until a dough forms
- Tightly press the dough into the baking tin and place in the oven for 20 mins
- Whilst the bread is baking, add the coconut fat (top thick part of the coconut milk can) to a bowl and machine whisk until it starts becoming slightly frothy, at this point add 1 tbsp of maple syrup and whisk again
- Add this mix to the fridge to use later
- Once the bread is ready, remove from the baking tin and allow to cool fully before topping with the coconut icing (otherwise it melts) this roughly takes 60-90 minutes
- Now remove the icing from the fridge and simply layer it onto the loaf and finally top with more pistachios
Creating this banana loaf? Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames Facebook @healthylivingjames or Twitter @healthylivingJW so I can see what you create! Want to save it for later then pin it on Pinterest @healthylivingJW.
On Pinterest? Why not save this photo below to your boards so you can come back and try it at another time!