I created this Lentil soup 3 ways to inspire people into creating more colourful and tasty ways of eating soup. Lentil soup or any other soup doesn’t have to be boring or dull looking, you just have to get great flavours and colours into it.
The base of this lentil soup is so cheap (easily less than £1 a portion) and simple to make. It’s absolutely perfect to batch cook and refrigerate/freeze to have at work during the week.
For people who say eating healthy, real food is too expensive send them this 🙂
Prep: 10 mins
Cooking: 30 mins
Ingredients for soup:
- 450g peeled sweet potato
- 2 celery stalks
- 3-4 medium carrots
- 1 medium/large red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 litres of good quality veg stock (I use this one)
- 1 cup of red split lentils
- salt & pepper
Ingredients for Crispy Kale topping (quickest):
- handful kale
- sprinkle of smoked paprika
- teaspoon of coconut oil
Ingredients for Roasted Beetroot topping (most colourful):
- 2 small beetroot (I pre boil my own before this roasting process)
- couple long slices of red pepper
Ingredients for Roasted Cauliflower topping (my favourite):
- couple cauliflower florets
- smoked paprika
- olive oil
- fresh chopped coriander
- Cauliflower Topping: (If you aren’t having the cauliflower topping then skip this stage). Start by pre heating the oven to 180C. Chop the cauliflower into florets (size you wish) and then place on a baking tray. Sprinkle olive oil along with the smoked paprika until lightly covered. Place in the oven for 45 minutes (make sure to turn half way).
- Soup: Firstly dice the red onion, then chop the sweet potato into small cubes. Thinly slice the carrot and celery.
- Now put a pan on a medium heat with the olive oil and crushed garlic along with a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Once the garlic is sizzling add the red onion for a couple minutes to soften.
- Now add the sweet potato, carrots and celery and season again with a pinch of salt & pepper. Fry these for 5-10 minutes until they have softened.
- Now add the 1.5 litres of stock along with the lentils and stir. Once boiling, place the lid back on the pan and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Beetroot Topping: slice your pre boiled beetroot in half along with a few long slices of red pepper. Place onto a baking tray, drizzle over some olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Roast these for 15-20 mins at 200C.
- Crispy Kale Topping: just before the soup is ready heat a frying pan with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Once hot, add the handful of kale and sprinkle over the desired amount of smoked paprika. Fry until crispy (2-3 mins).
- Simply assemble the topping you wish on top and enjoy!
Struggling for time??? No problem just try the soup with no toppings!
Tip: Let your creative side come out and see what you can top your soup with.
Creating this dish? Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames Facebook @healthylivingjames Twitter @healthylivingJW so I can see what you create. Want to save it for later then pin it on Pinterest @healthylivingJW .