Pasta Bake is such a perfect comfort food for when the autumn/winter is setting in and so I wanted to produce a “Cheesy” version which was gluten free and vegan. This one is packed full of flavour and goodness so give it a try this autumn/winter!
The best bit is that it is quick and simple to make and can be stored overnight for lunch the next day!
The sauce (shown in the photo at the bottom) is so versatile and can be used as a normal pasta topping or even as a side dish with dinner.
Prep: 15 mins
Cooking: 30 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed (3 normal size cloves)
- 220g cherry tomatoes, sliced into quarters
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Pinch chilli flakes (optional)
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 2 large handfuls of kale or spinach
- 1x 400g tin of aduki or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 handful fresh basil, chopped
- 200g vegan cheese
- 500g brown rice pasta
- Pre heat the oven to 200C
- Place the pasta into a pan and bring to a boil and cook per packet instructions
- Meanwhile slice the tomatoes and mushrooms
- Heat a large pan with the olive oil and garlic on a medium heat for a minute until the garlic is sizzling
- Now add the tomatoes, mushrooms, paprika, oregano, dried basil, chilli flakes and cook for roughly 5 minutes until they have softened making sure to stir
- Add the tomato puree, miso paste and mix together. (If you find the mix a little dry then add a couple tablespoons of the water from the pasta that is boiling)
- Now add the spinach/kale and allow to wilt
- Finally add the beans and fresh basil and stir
- Drain the pasta and place back in the pot you cooked it in and pour the sauce over. Make sure to stir this through thoroughly
- Place 1/2 the pasta mix into an oven proof dish and grate about 1/3rd of the cheese over the pasta and then continue to add the rest of the pasta on top. Finish by grating the remaining cheese over the top
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes
- It is now ready to serve
Tip: I like to serve with some chopped fresh basil and black pepper on top!
Tip: Don’t forget to save some for lunch the next day!
Creating this dish? Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @healthylivingjames Facebook @healthylivingjames or Twitter @healthylivingJW so I can see what you create! Want to save it for later then pin it on Pinterest @healthylivingJW